What's new

Boiler loses coolant when off...how does this happen?

acbruno

Reaction score
I have a 25-year old boiler that heats the floors at my 7-bay SS wash. I repaired a couple lines that did not pressure test last year. All lines now pressure test just fine. The boiler runs at 14lbs pressure when it is on. With temperatures fluctuating above and below freezing, the boiler kicks on/off frequently. The boiler runs fine when it stays on (its been on constantly for four days now and it?s running perfectly at 14PSI) but when it shuts off for a while then turns on later, I have to add four gallons of coolant each time to get the flow going. I have had to do this almost every time the system starts this season. If it wasn?t off for very long it will start back up but only run around 10PSI (low coolant). Any ideas why this is happening? I tested all lines with compressed air and they all held at 20PSI.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Don't quote me, but if you search this forum, there is a topic about this. I think it had to do with some air trapped in the return line or something like that. I am not sure though, someone will pipe up.

Jason Studer

Reaction score
How many gallons have you added this year so far, since you repaired the bad lines?

If it has not been to many, and you are possitive there are no more leaks, you must still have air in the system, you will need to bleed and bleed some more.

Laser Tracer

Reaction score
How much have you added? Chances are you have air in the system. Spyrovent makes a good automatic air eliminator. It pipes in your supply line. With our boilers we plumbed bladder tanks on the supply. We pump antifreeze into the tanks and it feeds the boilers when levels drop. Once the system is free of air you should not have to add very often.

acbruno

Reaction score
It has an expansion tank. I suppose I have added about 12 gallons after I topped it off before winter. It needs roughly 4 gallons each time the system stops for a while then starts back up. It's going to get colder here this week so I'll keep an eye on it to see if it progresses.