What's new

Boiler Circulation pump knocking

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I use an Intermatic timer that I use to shut my hot water boiler off at night. Today when it first kicked on, it was clicking real bad. During the first cycle it stopped clicking and everything is working good. Any ideas what would cause that?

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
I use an Intermatic timer that I use to shut my hot water boiler off at night. Today when it first kicked on, it was clicking real bad. During the first cycle it stopped clicking and everything is working good. Any ideas what would cause that?
Check the coupling.

lighthousecarwash

Reaction score
I have a related question.....when you use the timer to kill the boiler at night, does it kill the boiler and the circ pump, or just the boiler. I just had mine reconfigured and was told that the circ pump will still kick on at night if the tempature was low enough, but the boiler will be down until the timer kicks back on in the morning. Can the circ pump be included in that timer also?

Thanks
Lighthouse.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
I have a related question.....when you use the timer to kill the boiler at night, does it kill the boiler and the circ pump, or just the boiler. I just had mine reconfigured and was told that the circ pump will still kick on at night if the tempature was low enough, but the boiler will be down until the timer kicks back on in the morning. Can the circ pump be included in that timer also?

Thanks
Lighthouse.
I use a timer to kill the power to the boiler. The circ pump on my systems gets its power from the boiler so it won't come on either.

If yours isn't like this, just use the timer on the pump power, the boiler wont turn on because there is no flow without the pump being on.

MEP001

Reaction score
lighthousecarwash said:
I have a related question.....when you use the timer to kill the boiler at night, does it kill the boiler and the circ pump, or just the boiler.
It depends entirely on how it's configured.

What is the boiler heating, and why would someone configure it to have the pump run and not the boiler?

Etowah

lighthousecarwash

Reaction score
I put a temp sensor on the return to the floor heat boiler. The thought is that when the air tempature is below 36, that the circ pump kicks on. When the return from the floor is below 60, then the boiler will fire. I'm hoping that when it's cold, that the liquid being circulated will keep the pad warmer with the help of the sun shining on one side of the building. Before, I just had a slab stat and when the heat kicked on, it ran forever. Now I can kill it all night long and the boiler only fires when the return temp gets too low. Hope that makes sense. I believe that others have configured it this way as well.

Thanks,
Lighthouse.

soapy

Reaction score
The clicking you are hearing is probably air in the system lines. Check to make sure you have enough antifreeze in the tank if it is a closed loop system.

dogwasher

Reaction score

Thanks
Lighthouse.
Yes and that would be a good idea..that would keep the cold water from condensating inside the warm boiler

dogwasher

Reaction score
Could have been the start up of the cold water hitting the hot boiler...do you have a cast iron boiler or a copper fin tube?