What's new

Blinking light on PLC- RYKO

Swenny

Reaction score
I am new and have a blinking light on the plc for the #5 input- rear ultrasonic. All other lights are either on or off. Wondering if the sensor is going bad because the ganrty wants to go all the way back to the exit doors for every wash no matter how long the car. I thought it might be the photo eye for the extended vehicle kit but that seems to be ok. Any thoughts?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My machine (different brand) has the ability to 're-program' the ultrasonics.

If you have a manual for your machine look that up and try to do it if possible.

Your machine isn't properly sizing the vehicle, so it sounds like an ultrasonic failure to me.

My machine sizes on the first pass and each subsequent pass is then measured by a wheel count prox. If your machine is similar in design, a bad ultrasonic will size incorrectly from the very first pass.

vinh

Reaction score
I had that problem on my OHD before. Usually the arm with hit the left rear car during the wash. Also sometime I would also get a 74 error code instead of 2 dash. u really need a handheld to pinpoint the problem with 4 digit code. handheld can also tell if ultrasonic is working probably. If you don't have a handheld, I would order the right rear emitter. Cost is also $250. Cheaper than getting someone out at $75 an hour. If changing emitter out does not fix the problem, then get distributor out. The left rear reciever is much more expensive $550 so I would not order that. That goes bad and you will not see a red light on the ultrasonic itself. lastly a blinking light on PLC does not necessary mean a bad ultrasonic but twice in my case it was a bad emitter.

Swenny

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. There are no 2 or 4 digit codes generated for the ultrasonics which is why I think it might have to do with the extended vehicle photo eye. The machine doesn't think there is a problem, just thinks there is a long vehicle in there every time. Does anyone know if the input 00 (short bay photo eye) should be lit by default or off by default? Mine is off which makes me think the computer thinks the photo beam is broken telling it a long vehicle is in there but I have messed with the photo eye and can't get that light to come on.

soapy

Reaction score
It is common for the light to blink on the ultrasonic inputs. If you put your ear up close to them you will hear them clicking as they send out signals. All of my Rykos do this and it has no effect on their operation that I have seen.

Etowah

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
I picked a print at ramdom (not knowing when your wash was produced) and it does not state the photo eye light function of the Short bay photo eye (on or off). I would think the input is on when blocked. The easiest way to test the eye is to simply block the eye and check the input, if there is no transition you need to continue troubleshooting. Make sure the level is set to 9 and the range is at 100%.
It sounds like the rear ultrasonics are not seeing the floor. You need a hand held programmer to the check ultrasonic operation (it will show distance to the floor).

Gabriel

Reaction score
Gentlemen, this probably has nothing to do with your specific problem, but it might. As our floors (Concrete) aged and became stained and rough the ultra sonics could not detect and read from the rough floor. The simple solution was to buy a 4 X 4 sheet of aluminum, screw it directly to the floor in front of our pit and the problem immediately went away. We tried it on one Automatic and it cured the problem, then we put it on the second automatic and it also cured the problem. That little fix has been in place for over a year now with no more problems. Hope this helps--it does not sound very scientific, but it sure works.

soapy

Reaction score
I had to put some of those aluminum sheets down when some of mine were new to get a good reading off the floor.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
We have had to do this at a couple sites also. The hand held will tell you if this is needed since it gives the actual measurement to the floor.