What's new

Black Jack vending sponge

washnvac

Reaction score
Holy crap. Did anybody notice this? They were $40.44 last month from KR; now they are $73.33 for 100. Even higher at Dultmeier @ $95. On Amazon $4.65 for one sponge.

What the heck happened?? That is no longer a $1 vend.

sparkey

Reaction score
Its called build back Biden.... I would just sell something else in its place.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Just got a call from my Tunnel Tire shine supplier - raising prices 25%- Silicone costs have gone way up.

ICEMAN

Reaction score
I think you will see more price increases like this. Really makes you look at vending as a profit center. I am considering removing vending from my wash. I have a shurevend 52 selection. When I look at the cost it takes to get the product, the time it takes to stock it and the cost to maintain the machine , it really is not worth it for what the machine does. Do I think my customers would go to my competitor because I do not have vending, no. This is at a wash that is a busy 3 and 2.

MEP001

Reaction score
I would drop items that aren't likely to sell or replace them with ones that do rather than get rid of vending altogether. It's certainly not a high profit part of my business, but the customers want it and it does make decent money. I only have two vendors (towels and Armor All protectant), and I make around $3,000 a year.

ICEMAN

Reaction score
I agree MEP. Should have just put in a five column tree machine, armor all vendor and a towel vendor. All you really need. I am lucky, I am near the supplier so no shipping cost. If I was paying shipping vending would go or be cut way back.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It doesn't really seem like that much work to keep the vendor maintained and stocked. You should price things so that you double your money. Pretty simple. I think of my vending machine as a store that's open 24 hours a day and doesn't require an employee to sell the products. I like the ability to sell soft drinks and all the car cleaning products. I have a sure vend as well as multiple mechanical vendors and while they don't make tons of money every little bit helps.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I recently checked at one wash. It's a coleman mechanical that I think has seven vendors. Vending gross revenue in July was a whopping $90, Less than .1% of site revenue. My other wash has a max vend and vending sales are no better from a percentage of revenue standpoint. I just purchased a three column electronic vendor with credit card and plan to assemble a car care kit for $3 that includes a microfiber, dash wipe, wet towel, and fragrance tree. Each column will sell a different tree so the customer will have three trees to choose from. That will keep inventory simple and the purchase price high enough to justify credit card usage. Don't figure I have too much to lose.

Side note folks: dollar tree now sells armor all 4 oz bottles and tire foam for 1.00, less than I can buy them for from the suppliers. Also, A&H towels sells the packaged microfiber with dash wipe combo and they appear to be a better quality than many of the wrapped vending towels

ICEMAN

Reaction score
Can you really price things to double your money if your cost goes up 50%. I look back at the money I spent on that shurevend. Today, that would never happen, too long of a payback. In my area anything in a glass front vendor priced over 2.00 will sit and draw cobwebs. I have numerous auto supply stores in my area that sell this stuff cheaper than I can buy it and I pay zero in shipping. My vendors in the late 80's made more than what I do today and my washes today are much bigger and busier. They were all simple mechanical machines. If you have parts go out on today's vendors it will take awhile to make that cost up. I am sure there are guys that do great on vending. However, I think for most self serves/automatic carwashes it is a dying (or dead) business. There comes a time when it is just not worth the effort, no matter how small the effort is. For my shurevend I have decided to let her run until she has a major part go down, like a validator or changer, then it will be decision time. It does less than 2% of gross sales on its best year.

MEP001

Reaction score
I recently checked at one wash. It's a coleman mechanical that I think has seven vendors. Vending gross revenue in July was a whopping $90, Less than .1% of site revenue.
That's pretty dismal. Just out of curiosity, where are your vendors in relation to the bill changer? I've found that the nearer they are, the better they do. Mine are literally right next to it.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can you really price things to double your money if your cost goes up 50%.

YES. You have to build c.o.g.s. increases into your price. On everything.

My detail prices are up ( We charge $325-375 on average for a wash / wax / interior detail) from a few years ago. My old customers complain, but there are many more customers in line to take their place. Detail is fully booked thru 10/15.

Same with car wash. My SS bays are $3 / 3 min. Vacs $2. No complaints. IBA will be $14,16,18,20 when I re-open in Oct. ( same as friction rollover competitor).

I bought takeout Mexican for 5 last night: $88!!!!

ICEMAN

Reaction score
not a reality in vending....can you get 2.00 for one tree? They just go to the local auto parts store. Different areas different pricing. Just an example in my area, I have my landscaping trucks detailed at the end of each season. We are talking filthy trucks inside and out, best detailer in my area makes them look like new bumper to bumper for $275.00. I probably get a discount because I give him so many trucks, but you see what I mean. Same with touchless autos in my area, I am the highest priced at 15.00 top wash. Too many gas stations with quality washes in my area taking a huge chunk of the market.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I have the exact same experience as Greg and Iceman - vending profits are so low that its not worth doing, with the exception of little trees.
For quite a while I tried to price at 2X cost. Sales on most items dropped close to zero, and never came back. When I put most items on clearance (cost plus 25c), they started selling again.
Now I just vend the basics, as a customers service. I also would not buy a glass front vendor today; in fact I'd sell the one I have if I could get a good price for it.

Edit: my shurvend is right next to the bill changers, fully visible from the street.

Last edited:

Wet Spot

Reaction score
Wow, I had no idea of the price increase. Would have been nice if rep mentioned it when I ordered 10 cases . He did mention armoral is going up next month so I ordered more. I expected a 5-10% increase, but 90%. I’m going to stop caring after I sell out of these 10 cases