What's new

Black Algae

blurdgman

Reaction score
Our two locations operate with well water. One of our locations has a black algae problem. I'm not sure whether it arrives in the water or it grows in the hot water storage tank. We've dumped the tank washed it with bleach but the algae comes back. Does anyone have a clue as to how to get rid of it? Is there a particular temperature setting to repel its growth? Will chlorine injection affect the water softener?
We'd appreciate anyone's helpful comments.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Did you flush out the chemical lines with a strong alakine detergent and hydrominder if you are using one? Most quality chemicals should have an anti-microbial additive to prevent this.

Randy

Reaction score
You?ve got a bacterial growth problem. Is it just in the Hot water tank or is it in all the tanks? In the summer I have to put 1? swimming pool bleach pellets in my soap tanks or I?ll get a snotty looking growth, but it only happens when it?s warm out. Try putting a 1? swimming pool bleach pellet in the Hot water tank, they dissolve slowly, in about a week or so. Bleach injection will ruin your water softener.

blurdgman

Reaction score
We find algae in the the salt tank of the water softener so it's not just in the hot tank. We will study the water going in and coming out of our extrol expansion tanks.
It's hard to clean them out.

washnvac

Reaction score
Have your water tested straight out of the well. A detailed water test is usually on $10-15. This will tell you exactly what is in the water. You will probably need some sort of treatment prior to your softner. Well water is tricky, because it can change throughout the year.

Mr.Aap

Reaction score
Hang a piece of copper tubing in the tank.....It should inhibit the growth.....