What's new

Bill validators in the bays

Randy

Reaction score
So Ya think that it’s a good idea to have bill validators in the coin boxes in the bays. I have a customer who used to think that it was a nice convenience for his customers to be able to use currency in the bays, he’s had bill validators installed at this location for about 10 years with no major problems until last night. Last night at 2:15am 3 guys in 2 stolen cars came in to the car wash and popped open all 5 coin boxes in less than 6 minutes and were gone with all the bill validators. These coin boxes had high security Medeco “T” handle screw locks. He’s pulled all the validator out of all the other equipment at his other car wash. I’m not going to say how these popped these coin boxes open but it was pretty simple. I’ve told him I don’t know how many times that the bill validators in the bays were a target, but it always fell on deaf ears, now he’s a believer. For some reason he can only get 2 bays working and his credit card system isn’t working.

traveler17

Reaction score
My newest wash I just purchased has them in there. I’ve never been a fan and never added to my first location for the reason you just described. If I take them out how do I let the thieves know I don’t have them in there anymore :) , I’m not a pessimist but it’s gonna happen sooner or later !!

Randy

Reaction score
My newest wash I just purchased has them in there. I’ve never been a fan and never added to my first location for the reason you just described. If I take them out how do I let the thieves know I don’t have them in there anymore :) , I’m not a pessimist but it’s gonna happen sooner or later !!
He removed the bill validators and made a block off blank from PVC that go on the inside, then he cut a piece of PVC to fill in the slot that the bill validator stuck out off so it would be flush on the face plate and covered it with a decal. I haven’t seen it but he said it looks good. It’s really scary how easy it was for these guys to get in the coin boxes. The only thing that stopping anyone else is the fear of getting caught but in today’s world crime seems to be OK. Crime here is at an all-time high.

Last edited:

OurTown

Reaction score
Why doesn't someone offer these boxes in 1/4" plate and come up with a better locking mech? I doubt it would add more than $500-$750 per box in material, extra welding and machining the cutouts. I know that's not chump change especially if you are talking 6 or 8 bays but it would be nice to not worry about it as much. Screw it. Go to 3/8" plate (at least on the doors) and well anchored bolt nuts inside covered by Medeco plug locks and then maybe puck locks over those. This is not a difficult fabrication.

OurTown

Reaction score
I don't want to say too much on here but with the photos Randy showed me I would say that the doors need to be thicker and the bolt anchor points need to be way beefier.

MEP001

Reaction score
I used to think 12 gauge stainless was almost impenetrable. Now that I've seen what these bastards will do to get into a box that may have $5 in quarters, I have doubts that 3/8" plate is enough.

OurTown

Reaction score
I used to think 12 gauge stainless was almost impenetrable. Now that I've seen what these bastards will do to get into a box that may have $5 in quarters, I have doubts that 3/8" plate is enough.

Why do we not hear of changers getting into on an almost daily basis like the coin boxes? Could it be because most are in a more visually exposed area?

MEP001

Reaction score
I suppose because they aren't as easy of a target. Layered protection and all, they have to get into a room that might be alarmed before they even try the changer. I just got a text from a local operator, last night all his vacuums were broken into and they tried to get into the room there but failed.

Randy

Reaction score
Another car wash here got hit last night, same MO. They didn’t heed our warnings and left there bill validators in the coin box, they said it won’t happen to us we have a police substation across the street. They hit all 6 face plates, cut the wiring and took the face plates. Took them all of 7 minutes to hit all 6 bays. It never seems to end.

kentadel

Reaction score
I will probably change my luck by stating this but in 32 years I have never had a coin box or bill validator broken into in any of my washes. I do notice that customers in general are less respectful of bays, wands, and vacs compared to when I started in this business.