What's new

Bill to Bill Breaker

steve569

Reaction score
Anyone use a bill to bill breaker? If so what brand and what model have you had good luck with?

mac

Reaction score
I have only sold a couple, and both to the same customer at the same location. He loves them. I was skeptical at first but he convinced me. How many times do you see a customer go to the change machine with a 10 or 20 and then walk away because they didn't want a pocket full of quarters? The machine was made by American Changer.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
If you're dead-set on dispensing quarters, the one that made more sense to me was the one called "Money Manager". It gave a combination of one bill denomination and coins. I don't need anything like that since I dispense dollar coins. Having to manually break a big bill is almost a thing of the past for me. I just don't get the reasoning behind having a nice modern car wash and dispensing change for 1960's pricing???

Overachiever

Reaction score
I installed a BCX1020RL from Standard Change Makers a year and a half ago. I give out 1s and 5s for 10s,20s,50s,100s. I haven't had a single issue with the bill breaker side of it. Just an occasional quarter jam (and an issue with the quarter shoot that came with the machine that I had to fix).

I've had some abuse of people putting like 10 20's in there and draining out all the 1's and 5's and then using that money to drain the quarters. You can configure it to only allow a certain quantity of a bill in a given time frame and then the machine will throw an error and basically not work for a certain number of minutes so I made some changes there to curb the abuse.

I find it really annoying to restock it... I usually pick through my bills that are in good condition and put them back in. Probably be easier to just order new bills from the bank and use those when it gets low.

D3Dubs

Reaction score
I installed a BCX1020RL from Standard Change Makers a year and a half ago. I give out 1s and 5s for 10s,20s,50s,100s. I haven't had a single issue with the bill breaker side of it. Just an occasional quarter jam (and an issue with the quarter shoot that came with the machine that I had to fix).

I've had some abuse of people putting like 10 20's in there and draining out all the 1's and 5's and then using that money to drain the quarters. You can configure it to only allow a certain quantity of a bill in a given time frame and then the machine will throw an error and basically not work for a certain number of minutes so I made some changes there to curb the abuse.

I find it really annoying to restock it... I usually pick through my bills that are in good condition and put them back in. Probably be easier to just order new bills from the bank and use those when it gets low.
why would someone want to do this? just curious

Etowah

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
If you're dead-set on dispensing quarters, the one that made more sense to me was the one called "Money Manager". It gave a combination of one bill denomination and coins. I don't need anything like that since I dispense dollar coins. Having to manually break a big bill is almost a thing of the past for me. I just don't get the reasoning behind having a nice modern car wash and dispensing change for 1960's pricing???
We are finding more & more customers just putting in $5s so they are not interrupted at our 6 bay self service with both dollar coin accepting & up to $20 bill acceptance. The only thing holding us back from also just giving out close to or actually 100%??? dollar coins like IB Washincars from our two large reliable 4 hopper Standard ChangeMakers is that fact that we are still in the process of modernizing to 100% dollar coin acceptance within our adjacent 32 washing machine laundromat.

Our successful alternative to the bill to bill breaker has been this: It has been over 6 years now since we installed our ATM which gives out only $5s ... that way there is no need for customers to bring coins ... they get as many coins as they want or need when they come ... no need for the "young man's pants falling down" syndrome. To give credit to many local banks & credit unions ... I am pretty sure most of my customers use the reliable ATM with no hassle no cost automatically taken care of by their financial institution. Putting in our own "in house" ATM is one of the best decisions we made because of the credit card usage reality nowadays.

Our self service dog wash has a $5 minimum ... so the $5 bill dispensing from the ATM works out great there too.

It seems like it could be of value to many of us if the affordable ATMs available in the USA would have the option of giving out both the waterproof dollar coins & a denomination of bills similar to what Mr IB described about another device. Us experienced operators know how reliable the coin hopper technology has evolved into over the years. Maybe it is only a lack of proper communication & input from enough of us to the ATM manufacturers & distributors here in the USA that is preventing those dual output ATMs from being available.

Last edited:

Overachiever

Reaction score
why would someone want to do this? just curious
It's mostly been the neighboring restaurants. Taco Bell was my worst offender so I sent them a cease and desist and I don't think they've been back since. They'd come in with 20's and want a couple hundred in quarters and literally turn all there 20s into bills then all there bills into quarters.

I think some of the other people just like to have a bunch of bills and wrap a 20 or 100 around it so they look cool.. lol.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I also have a BCX1020RL like Overachiever. Mine has worked pretty dang well other than a dried out belt( In the bill dispenser) that eventually broke and needed replacing.

I'll also second the statement that the bill holder needs to be stocked with relatively good condition bills. I only keep 120 bills in mine, and I'll sort through my $5's and pick the best.

Other than that...I'm happy with it and my customers use it about 20X more than my Rowe 1400 changer.