What's new

Bill Recycler In Self Serve Bays?

Burky

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has put bill recylers directly into their self serve bay boxes? Apparently the bill recycler uses a different language than the the LED 7/coin counter/ and credit card swiper. (MDB vs PULSE). There are some companies that make a converter but I am wondering if anyone has successfully done this. This would be beneficial for the customers since they would not have to walk to a change machine or bill breaker. Also nice for the owner to not have a single point of failure in a change machine... Could possibly even eliminate the change machine?

Wash4Life

Reaction score
We have not put bill recyclers directly in our self-service bay boxes. If money was no object, I would love to do that. Right now, we're quarter-based. I would like to move away from being quarter-based because I do not believe that people want to hold fistfuls of them to do business.

I would still have a change machine there because if Congress ever gets rid of the $1 bill and goes with $1 coins, they would be needed.

Randy

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has put bill recylers directly into their self serve bay boxes? Apparently the bill recycler uses a different language than the the LED 7/coin counter/ and credit card swiper. (MDB vs PULSE). There are some companies that make a converter but I am wondering if anyone has successfully done this. This would be beneficial for the customers since they would not have to walk to a change machine or bill breaker. Also nice for the owner to not have a single point of failure in a change machine... Could possibly even eliminate the change machine?
It can be done. What do you think will happen to the bill recyclers when one of your customers sprays water into it?

Burky

Reaction score
It can be done. What do you think will happen to the bill recyclers when one of your customers sprays water into it?
It will get wet 😬 Do the regular bill validators hold up better to moisture than the recyclers?? For what it’s worth I would put the little covers on that prevent direct spray... Have you done it or know of someone that has? I would love to talk to someone who has done it...

MEP001

Reaction score
Mars AE series validators hold up very well in bays. I had some that hadn't been touched in 12 years other than occasional cleaning. The cover seems like a good idea, especially if the meter box is in the middle of the wall. They don't get much overspray if they're in the column at the end.

Randy

Reaction score
It will get wet 😬 Do the regular bill validators hold up better to moisture than the recyclers?? For what it’s worth I would put the little covers on that prevent direct spray... Have you done it or know of someone that has? I would love to talk to someone who has done it...
Nope never tried putting a Mars validator with a bill recycler in a coin box. There are a couple of factors that I would consider before trying to install a recycler. First would be the cost, the recyclers are cheap. Installing it into your coin box you’re going to have to cut a 3 1/4” x 4 1/4” hole in the face plate to accommodate the recycler bezel. Then you’re going to have deal with making the validator communicate from MDB to pulse. Over spray isn’t an issue, we have customers who repeatedly hold the nozzle up the bill validator and spray water into bill validator, this not good for the bill validator. So as they fail we’ve been pulling them out and not replacing them. I repaired a Mars AE2612 validator last week that had been repeatedly sprayed with water, it was a green corroded mess the only reusable part was the main control board.

Burky

Reaction score
I have researched a bit and finally decided not to try it. The physical mounting of the recycler is not an issue since I have a local machine shop custom making my boxes. However I do not know if it is possible to program the recycler to give the proper amount of change without getting some type of controller involved in the box as well... With the two separate languages (pulse vs MDB) I don’t know how to make this all work. Vendors Exchange makes a converter board but in talking to them and Mars or whatever company bought them out I don’t think I can do it. If I am wrong someone please let me know as I think this would be a great option. No need to buy a changer and less walking for the customers...

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I have researched a bit and finally decided not to try it. The physical mounting of the recycler is not an issue since I have a local machine shop custom making my boxes. However I do not know if it is possible to program the recycler to give the proper amount of change without getting some type of controller involved in the box as well... With the two separate languages (pulse vs MDB) I don’t know how to make this all work. Vendors Exchange makes a converter board but in talking to them and Mars or whatever company bought them out I don’t think I can do it. If I am wrong someone please let me know as I think this would be a great option. No need to buy a changer and less walking for the customers...
Some vehemently disagree with me ... but based on our success giving our out $5s from our sheltered & protected ATM for over 7 years ... an ATM giving out highest denomination "always waterproof" coins as an option along with a specific bill would be the best. Something the ATM manufacturers would have to be convinced it would be a worthwhile easily done option to offer. There is no law that states that I have to charge for the use of our credit-debit card ATM but the customers in our area are very accepting of our $2 surcharge. Even at that low of a surcharge ... it is shocking to see how lucrative & quick that accumulates ROI wise!

Whether "WashForLife's" suggestion would be an absolute necessity ... I am not absolutely sure? Hopefully, the latest development of a new Federal Level Coin Task Force does not turn out to be another "bureaucratic swamp bad news joke".

BTW ... I have a hard time understanding anybody who suggests that any bill canister is more reliable than the better coin hoppers such as Standard Bill ChangeMaker Hoppers. Maybe the recent SuzoHapp purchase of CoinCo Acceptors will work long term wise in the favor of some of us!

Last edited: