What's new

Big Cat Pump Shaking Violently

Red Baron

Reaction score
The Cat pump on my D&S 5000 vilently shakes and the nozzelse surge when the gantry goes down to the back and back up and across the top, then smoothes out when the gantry goes down in front and back up and across the top. I have plenty of water getting to it.

I'm shut down - ideas?

MEP001

Reaction score
The air may be working its way back through the high pressure lines and into the pump. The big PVC inlet check valve would have to be failing for this to happen.

Red Baron

Reaction score
The air may be working its way back through the high pressure lines and into the pump. The big PVC inlet check valve would have to be failing for this to happen.
I suspected the check valve so I took it apart and removed the ball - still shakes. Am I missing something here?

mac

Reaction score
I don't have any tips on what to look for, only to stress that you need to resolve it quickly. Those big pumps are pricy to replace. When a pump shakes like that it is either getting air into it, or it is starved for water. Good luck.

mikeexpress

Reaction score
check for a high pressure hose being pinched of when it goes down the back that will create a back pressure on the pump and make it shake

DivineSuccess

Reaction score
I found that those ball type check valves often don't work as well as the spring loaded ones for high pressure pumps. Maybe try getting a spring loaded check and see if that stops the air flow.

Red Baron

Reaction score
The problem was: I'm an idiot! Sometimes I forget to check the simple stuff first. It was a broken chain on a hydrominder float, causing a soap tank to run dry.

Kudos to Westech Supply and Eric McClendon.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I hate it when the cause is "I'm an idiot"! It's really hard on my ego :(

But seriously, it takes a certain amount of experience to learn to relax, focus and take the time to properly analyze all the symptoms and find the true cause BEFORE you start messing with stuff. It's even more difficult when a very large cat pump is going nuts!

BTW, the chain clips also rust out on the hydrominder floats, I have replaced all mine with high quality tie-wraps.

BigLeo

madscientist

Reaction score
i hate it, too, but i also love it because it means it was something simple. i just make a mental note to myself to check that thing first the next time i come across the same situation. of course, it erases from my memory exactly 1 week before the same problem comes up again.