What's new

Bi-directional CC Acceptor: Usage Up 12%

Red Baron

Reaction score
About a month ago I installed a bi-directional CC acceptor on my ACW and my CC sales have gone up from 33% of my IBA purchases, to about 45%.

One month does not a trend make, but thought I'd pass along what I know.

vinh

Reaction score
June my CC sale went up 25% and July it went up 75% for IBA. I think it is not because of your CC acceptor but the fact that we are taking "credit" from people that do not have cash. Obviously, this is cause by higher fuel prices. Baron, How was you self serve Bays affected during last month? I don't have CC for my bays so I saw 10% drop in cash (bays and vac) business.
I think we should all ban together and stop taking credit card business to help stop the credit card deliquency problems in America?

Red Baron

Reaction score
Revenue in my SS bays, both CC and cash, are noticeably up in the last 2 months, although I haven't figured out by how much yet. My IBA has been down during the same time and I attributed that to people trying to save a few bucks. That said, the last week we're right back to normal with no weather to cause that.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
"I think we should all ban together and stop taking credit card business to help stop the credit card deliquency problems in America?"

Vinh....I think that is a great idea. I just wish you were in my market! If I could get my competition to stop accepting credit cards, I would be the only one in town doing it which would boost my sales tremendously.

I'm in business to suceed and make profits. It will take more than the car wash industry to try and change the "spend now, pay later" mentality of the US consumer. Frankly, if they are irresponsible enough to over extend themselves, then I am more than happy to take their money and wash their cars!

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Vinh,

I can't believe that you said that!!!! I suppose you want to get rid of computers because some one can't spell? Get rid of water because people drownd

MEP001

Reaction score
I thought it was silly myself. There are a lot of people who are responsible with credit cards, and those who aren't don't have one for long. We as business owners/operators shouldn't have to be responsible for someone else's lack of judgement.

Doug P.

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up Red. I just ordered 5 for my ACW's on your experience.

Doug P.

Red Baron

Reaction score
Doug, I feel certain bi-directional readers will help. I think this because, even now, despite clear instructions on my ACW, I still hear my ACW telling customers repeatedly "Your credit card could not be read." After about 4 tries I walk over and tell the customer his credit card needs to be inserted right side up.

Sheesh! I wonder how some of these people function in society, or if my car wash is their very first experience with a change machine or ACW.

MEP001

Reaction score
Red Baron said:
I think this because, even now, despite clear instructions on my ACW, I still hear my ACW telling customers repeatedly "Your credit card could not be read." After about 4 tries I walk over and tell the customer his credit card needs to be inserted right side up.
The first problem is that the older Hamilton readers accept the card upside down from gas pumps. I myself am used to tucking it in my wallet where I pull it out, swipe it and stick it back in my wallet the same way, and you can't do that with the Hamilton.

The second problem may be that your old reader was failing. I had a problem that sounds just like what you were having, if someone swiped the card the correct way, on the first try it would say "Your card could not be read" most of the time. If they swiped it again correctly it would read, but if they flipped it, swiped it and got no audible prompt, they'd flip it again and get the "Your card could not be read" message again. When I replaced the reader, not only did that problem go away but the failed transactions went from around 10% to almost zero.

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
About how much do they run. We have ACW 5 and goldline side by side and they take the cards in opposite directions--confusing at best.

Ted

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Ted, I'm pretty sure Red has the Washgear system on his machine. All of their replacement readers are "bi". Out of my 10 readers at my big wash I have replaced 3 with the bi readers. I did ask them to send me the "right stripe only" decals to hopefully cut down on some confusion since all of my readers don't match now.

Randy

Reaction score
The Hamilton ACW-5 card readers are still a single sided reader. The Goldline Card Reader is the Dual sided reader. The part number of the Dual sided or "BI" Goldline card reader is #100-0119. The list price is $301.79, I give my Forum friends a pretty good discount.

MEP001

Reaction score
Am I a "Forum friend," 'cause I wouldn't mind replacing the old one and keeping it as a spare.

Randy

Reaction score
The part number is #100-0119, Kit, Flush Mount Card Reader. They only replace the Card readers on the Goldline ACW?s.