What's new

Beware of Key Bumping!!!

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Just had a flyer inserted in our door at the wash from a local locksmith company alerting us of possible key bumping in our area. I do believe this has been discussed already but I wanted to realert everybody to this danger of it because it's so damn easy a 12 year old did it on a video on the internet! as if this year hasn't had enough headaches this just doesn't help.

Wally

Reaction score
I would suggest you have your locksmith install either a Medeco or an ASSA on your door. One good feature is a registered key. Supposedly they can't bump these.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Good way for a locksmith to advertise. Spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt in what you currently have. While it happens, I wonder if they were just trying to drum up some business.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I would suggest you have your locksmith install either a Medeco or an ASSA on your door. One good feature is a registered key. Supposedly they can't bump these.
My door has 2 ASSA deadbolt locks.
One time my attendant had a locksmith come out to get him into the equip room (I was out of town - long story). Locksmith said no way, cant get a key, cant pick them, sorry, cant get you in. Made me happy. :)

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Always torn between great locks and a good alarm system. If they have a tough time with the lock, very often the cost of damage repair is more than what tye can steal since the alarm goes off upon entry. I think I prefer to let them in easy with less damage. The alarm goes off and they are gone.

Been driving a convertible for over 35 years . Never lock it. Leave it unlocked and set the alarm . They open the door, alarm goes off and they are gone. 2 Times people parked my car for me and locked it resulting in a cut top for ease of entry. In those days the repair was $500.00. They are welcome to the loose change and cheap sunglasses as long as they leave my top alone. I often park it with the top down and alarm on. Push button lock for the trunk in the car is disconnected.

MEP001

Reaction score
Key bumping does happen, but it's not a common break-in technique. Whether or not it's really a problem in your area, I wouldn't use the locksmith that posted the flyer, in fact I wouldn't use a locksmith at all. Deadbolts and doorknobs are generally very simple to install.

MasterLock makes a deadbolt set with a special spring-loaded pin to prevent key bumping.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
How about those doorknobs that have the code buttons on them to open the door, I have looked at these and thought if somebody breaks the code portion with say a hammer or trying to pry it off how do I get in to repair it?

Randy

Reaction score
We had that very thing happen here about 2 weeks ago. The owner had to call a locksmith to come get in and repair the lock. They didn?t get into the equipment room, just smashed the keypad lock on the inner door, don?t know why they smashed the keypad lock they didn?t touch the security gate.