What's new

Beware of eBay seller!

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I have been watching a piece of equipment on eBay for a week or two. I'm adding a new automatic and needed an acw and stand. I bought the acw from a guy in Florida and it arrived today just the way it was supposed to. The stand that I had been watching was available about 80 miles from my home in Kentucky but on eBay it was automatically including $212 for shipping, a ridiculous charge for a stand. I contacted the seller and asked how I could pay for the stand online without the shipping and he would never answer me. I wanted to pay for it and have my installer pick it up on his way to me. I had a rare afternoon off today and decided that I would just drive up and get the stand since he wouldn't let me pay for it online. I can only assume that the "shipping" was part of the profit margin. He sent me the address and told me when someone would be there. I got to the house and his son was there. We loaded it in the back of my truck and I asked to borrow a pen. He said "I can only take cash". I can understand that policy for eBay sales but it would only make sense to tell the buyer that before he comes, so I am quite irritated at this point. I didn't have $475 cash with me. We unload the stand and I find an atm and take out $480 from my personal account. When I get back the kid tells me his dad now says it is $500 for the stand. At this point I'm about to blow a gasket so I ask the kid what kind of a place this is. I feel sorry for the kid. I'm sure it's tough being stuck in the middle when your father does business that way and I wasn't very pleasant. I was warned to watch out for this guy from a friend out west. He told me the guy had made a deal on a machine out there and not held up his end of the bargain. Anyway if you are looking for carwash equipment on eBay this guy in Kentucky has a lot of stuff for sale but I'd say let the buyer beware! Also if anybody has a Hamilton stand for sale I'm still in the market!

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
Yeah. Sorry IBW. As far as I know this guy hasn't been on the forum.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I only buy stuff online with paypal from reputable buyers. That way I have recourse. If the vendor has communications problems, won't answer emails, etc...that's my answer...don't deal with him.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I'm the same way Leo. Since I was able to drive to this one and actually look at it, Shelbyville is only about 90 mins. from me, I didn't think anything could go wrong. Silly me. This guy had good ratings but I was told by another member of this forum that this is his 3rd eBay identity and he had been banned before. Live and learn.

bigleo48

Reaction score
JB,

The stellar reputation I seek on eBay has to be long standing. None the less, I have had minor problems in the past, none of which were not resolved to my satisfaction. I guess its like dealing with any other business or person...there are scumbags everywhere...thankfully they are the minority.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
The problem with reputations on ebay is that there is no good way to check out their reputation. The feedback system is a total joke. Since a buyer can only get positive FB you can rack up tons of transactions and of course be 100%. Also, since they started obscuring the bidders IDs they made it a shillers paradise. Frankly, ebay has become a joke and I don't feel anywhere near as comfortable as I used to when buying there. Selling is even less fun.

MEP001

Reaction score
You can check the history of a seller by sorting the feedback as a seller.

One thing I watch for is excessively high shipping. I found what I thought was a good deal on some PC memory but didn't check and ended up paying $40 for a padded envelope with 97 cents postage on it.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
You can check the history of a seller by sorting the feedback as a seller.
Yeah, I know how to do all of that, but it would be nice to have a little more of a realistic idea of how they handle things if I could see that they have a habit of not paying or just being a total pain in the hind quarters.