What's new

~Better Terminology Needed!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Reading another ALN article today, Kevin Farrell suggests there needs to be a better term than 'express detail'.

I tend to agree. Any thoughts? Maintenance detail sounds clunky. Quick detail sounds the same as express.

Joe Law

Reaction score
How about bargain detail, isn't that what it really is?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hmmm. Not sure I like that, but thanks for the input.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I would think it would be difficult to find an appropriate term since it is pretty much an oxymoron anyway. The term "express" pretty much means quickie to me, while I interpret "detail" as I'm going to take my time and do a thorough job.

I doubt that the terminology means much to the general public. I'm sure they just see it as a full serve that throws more help at the job to get it done quicker.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
The express detail terminology has worked well for years. The term "express" implies the notion of speed (ie. faster or quicker than average or normal) and "detail" implies cleaning beyond all reason.

If you effectively communicate the concept of, interior super clean or express wax, most customers will grasp the meaning. At least they did at the washes I operated.

Effective communication can be as simple as handing out a well written single-sided sales brochure (i.e. 4" by 8"), answering any questions and placing a driveway sign near the POS. Capture rate will vary depending on the quality of your sales initiative and how well you deliver on your promises (i.e. completion time, quality, customer service).

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
RR:

Thank you. Your insight into my question is great and I appreciate it. Thanks everybody; I know what to do!