What's new

best way to deal with lead wall anchors?

Neenar

Banned
Reaction score
The wash I am dismantling has most of the panels (tri foam, spot free, etc) attached to the brick wall with what looks like a lead anchor with a steel nail in the center. I have used by 4" grinder on a few, tried to drill but that didn't go so well. tried to melt the lead(?) with a propane torch but lost my patience before I could tell if it was going to eventually work. I have gotten some great advice here, hoping for yet more.
If they are from lead, then you will not be able to drill, just break the drill. The lead is very soft.

OurTown

Reaction score
If they are from lead, then you will not be able to drill, just break the drill. The lead is very soft.
The ones I have removed are aluminum, die cast, pot metal or something like that.

Dan-Ark

Reaction score
A few hits from top and bottom with a cold chisel and prying them out worked best on the ones we did.

MEP001

Reaction score
I think I've found the fastest and easiest way to get these anchors out. Use a cutoff wheel to cut through the center of the pin. The rest chisels off very easily. I've done a bunch lately, it takes about five seconds to cut each one, and I've just used a broken flathead screwdriver and hammer to knock off the rest, about five hits each. Very fast and easy, would probably go even faster with a heavier hammer and a chisel.

IMG_20201012_035838844.jpg

Last edited: