What's new

Best way to clean wheels

tw1012

Reaction score
What is the best way to clean the rims? We spray on a wheel solvent and then hand clean them using a wet towel. This method works great but it is extremely time consuming and I'm sure there is a better way to do it? Would installing high pressure wash guns work?

thanks

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I assume you have a tunnel wash. The best products for cleaning wheels contain HF but most operators prefer not to use anything with HF in it. The best system that does not use HF uses an application of a low pH product followed by an application of a high pH product with both preferably foamed on. Allow for as much dwell time as possible followed by a high pressure rinse.

If you are going to use a single application there are several good high pH products on the market that do a reasonably good job. I have seen only a few low pH products work well in a single application system. In any case a high pressure rinse is a must.

MEP001

Reaction score
What about something like a foaming wheel brush like what's used in some self-serves? The tire/wheel cleaner I mix is plenty strong to get wheels and whitewalls clean with a quick spray and scrub with a gong brush, and it's very safe.