What's new

Best vending machine?

bedford

Reaction score
I will be pouring concrete walls next week and want to install a new vending machine in the wall to hold at least 8 products. Which is the most reliable clear front machine, that the customer can see what they are buying. Thank you

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Although I don't own one, from the feedback here on the forum it would have to be hands down, the Shurvend. They are also a forum supporter.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why limit yourself to 8 selections when you can have 51???

I have 8 now and it is not enough.

It's no secret I have been looking at Shurvend for some time and will sooner or later wind up with a vending machine that will put my carwash way above my competitors in vending!

I'll be looking to sell the almost $2000 worth of non-clear front machines I currently own. My advice; spend your money wisely the first time.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Shurvend

I have the Shurvend half-pint front loader. I believe it holds 18 selections, and, for me, that is just about right.

I use one entire shelf for terry and microfiber towels, one shelf for trees, tire foam, armor all, and glass cleaner, and one shelf for various $1 wipes-- glass, armor all, blackjack, etc. In my market it's a good combination.

Everything I have in the vendor sells; however, I think I'd be hard pressed to put many more items in it so going to a 51 items vendor would be a bit much for me. Not to mention having to stock and inventory 51 separate items?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
doesn't have to be 51 separate items; some duplicate if very popular. just look at how many varieties of little trees there are and that's only one company that makes air freshners! You got Yankee Candle, Jelly bellies, the nudie ones.... You could easily fill all of them with just air freshener (not that you should).

plus, the combo shurvend is refrigerated so it sells drinks and snacks, too. i also want to vend tokens in case my token machine goes down, so i'd have a few columns of tokens. i can envision filling up a 51 selection pretty easy and having the best carwash/soda/snack vending in town!

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Uhh, you might consider the time investment to order all the stuff, inventory all the stuff, restock all the stuff, and store all the stuff somewhere. How much revenue were you planning on making on this vendor to justify the time involvement?

51 items? If I made millions that's one thing, but I don't want to stock 51 items for the small, but rewarding, return a vendor brings.

Just a thought.

MEP001

Reaction score
When we order a vendor, I intend to get a 51-selection. As many towels and Armor-All sponge packs as we sell a day I'll have to dedicate an entire tray for just those two items to make sure it doesn't run out. The rest allows you to have a wide selection of things, particularly "Little Trees." I have 8 different spray fragrances in the combo vacs and they all sell, so I'm sure it would be easy to move a dozen different trees. That's already two of five shelves filled.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am sure that like most things I do, this will be in actuality different from how my mind now sees it.

However, of all the things I do to make money (detailing cars, running the carwash, fixing things), ordering things for the vendor and stocking it seems pretty easy.

Besides, when it's time to re-order and re-stock, those are good problems to have because it means you've sold all the items you are trying to sell!

Let's see; buy a can of soda of 25 cents and sell it for a buck. Uhhh, that's a pretty big incentive for a small-potatoes guy like me to order some stuff on the phone and open the vendor and put it in there.

I would've never made it this far in business if I thought that was 'too much work'.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
Work

Let me try this a different way.

Suppose you grossed $X per month from your vending machine with it carrying ..... pick a number ..... 30 items. Now, expand that to 51 items and suppose you gross an additional 5%. Is it worth it to *you* to make an additional 5% by having to order, store, and restock another 21 items? For me, it is not; for you, perhaps it is. It's not about being lazy or not wanting to make money.

Personally, I don't have the room in the equipment room at the car wash to stock all the vendor stuff. Not even close. So it takes up an entire large table in a spare bedroom. After all, since shipping fees substantially increase the cost per vend item and you focus on profits you *will* order in large quantities to save on shipping, right? Then I lug a "restock kit" from the house down to the wash to re-fill the vendor. For me, doing it with 18 items is one thing; doing it with 51 would be much different. (Actually I only sell about a dozen items as 5 rows are devoted just to towels.)

Bottom line: I don't think expanding the number of items in my vendor will expand the revenue derived in any way that justifies my time to handle the increased ..... stuff. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I see your point. If I do take the plunge and get the 51 selection and it turns out to be a pain and not worth it, I will say so.

I am limited for space too, but I think I can get creative and add some shelves somewhere for everything.

I guess I just see alot of profit potential and people love alot of choices.

In my area, a one-of-a-kind vending machine like Whale O Wash's would create quite a buzz. Have you see his pics? WOW!

Bob C.

Reaction score
I have a Shurvend 51 at all 4 of my locations. I would not run a wash with out one. In fact I had 2 shurvend 51 at one location and did very well, I have since sold the wash but the new owners still have the 2 machines. Customers say they like my wash because i always have the supplies they need to clean and freshen up
there car. I believe A good selection of vending products makes for a busy wash.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
One thing that you may not be thinking about is that you won't actually be stocking 51 items. You will be doing whatever you do now in multiple columns. So you don't need to refill it so often. The vendor will allow you to vend more items, and there have been posts before about whats selling and what is not. So maybe you will add 5 more items than you are doing now.

If you have a full service tunnel where they get out of the car, then I guess you would vend all kinds of things.