What's new

Best shut-off valve for weep?

slash007

Reaction score
I currently have 1/4" ball valves that I use to control how much water weeps, but it is nearly impossible to weep the amount I would like. It is either too much or too little. The slightest adjustment and either the weep stream shuts off or is too strong. Any recommendation on a different valve that would give me more precise control? Thanks.

Randy

Reaction score
I set them about 10 years ago and haven't had to touch them since. So I would have to say I like them a lot. I have one ASCO normally open solenoid valve that controls the weep water. The ASCO valve is controlled by the Dixmor DX1000 Weepmizer. It’s all worked flawlessly for over 15 years.

slash007

Reaction score
I set them about 10 years ago and haven't had to touch them since. So I would have to say I like them a lot. I have one ASCO normally open solenoid valve that controls the weep water. The ASCO valve is controlled by the Dixmor DX1000 Weepmizer. It’s all worked flawlessly for over 15 years.
I just hooked up a weepmizer yesterday and had two frozen bays this morning. I think that there wasn't enough water running to them as I had to readjust the shut off valves after installing the normally open solenoid. I will order six and give the shut offs that you mentioned a shot. One thing that I noticed with the weepmizer is that yesterday when I installed it the temperature reading was perfect, today it seems 5 degrees higher. I do have it facing north, away from any heat sources and shielded from the sun. I read that you could manually adjust the sensor to lower the temperature. Ever had any issues like that? Thanks.

mjc3333

Reaction score
I just hooked up a weepmizer yesterday and had two frozen bays this morning. I think that there wasn't enough water running to them as I had to readjust the shut off valves after installing the normally open solenoid. I will order six and give the shut offs that you mentioned a shot. One thing that I noticed with the weepmizer is that yesterday when I installed it the temperature reading was perfect, today it seems 5 degrees higher. I do have it facing north, away from any heat sources and shielded from the sun. I read that you could manually adjust the sensor to lower the temperature. Ever had any issues like that? Thanks.
I use the factory settings with a twist.

I use 30 second intervals instead of 1 minute.

10% would be 3 sec on 27 off
50% would be 15 sec on 15 off
90% would be 27 sec on 3 sec off

This will help freeze ups with out using any more water
If you use the 1 minute interval you may get freeze ups.

Can you check the weepmizer temp settings with say a digital temp sensor from radio shack? I've had the same issues with temp settings of the weepmizer only to find the temp to be right on compared to an actual digital temp sensor.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I used to use needle valves, but had a couple problems with little bits of dirt getting stuck in them and reducing the flow, resulting in frozen bays. I switched it to use a watts pressure regulator to control the flow/volume. Pressure gauges allow me to see weep status at a glance. Also I split it to 2 circuits because I need more flow to the 2 furthest bays to prevent freezing. Also when I switch to hot water weep I want less water weeping, the regulator & gauge setup make that easier for me to do..

Yes, yes, I know, "dirt"... I use recycled weep water with a foot valve, these were small enough particles that they passed through everything except the needle valves. Not a lot, not real often, but frozen bays are not happy days. I did add a particle filter, I'm sure that would have been enough, but I like my current setup better. Works for me anyway.

MEP001

Reaction score
PaulLovesJamie said:
I used to use needle valves, but had a couple problems with little bits of dirt getting stuck in them and reducing the flow, resulting in frozen bays. I switched it to use a watts pressure regulator to control the flow/volume.
Same here; it also has the benefit of simplifying the weep system. Winters are mild here, but I've seen some equipment with one main solenoid and individual ones for each bay to shut the weep off when a bay is running to keep from diluting tire cleaner/presoak. With a regulator on the weep, the pressure can be turned down enough that the tire cleaner/presoak pressure stops the weep flow.

slash007

Reaction score
I use the factory settings with a twist.

I use 30 second intervals instead of 1 minute.

10% would be 3 sec on 27 off
50% would be 15 sec on 15 off
90% would be 27 sec on 3 sec off

This will help freeze ups with out using any more water
If you use the 1 minute interval you may get freeze ups.

Can you check the weepmizer temp settings with say a digital temp sensor from radio shack? I've had the same issues with temp settings of the weepmizer only to find the temp to be right on compared to an actual digital temp sensor.
I will test the temp with a sensor. Funny thing is that it seemed to be 5 degrees higher early morning till afternoon, but when I checked around 3 pm the temp was matching what it should be, so I'm not sure what the factor is.

I don't recycle water, so I'm guessing that I shouldn't have issues with a needle valve getting dirt in it? Would you mind posting a link to the pressure regulator you guys are using? Thanks.

washme1

Reaction score
I talked to an operator the other day who uses a pressure regulator on his weep. I don't know any details.

tobaccofarmer

Reaction score
Do any of you guys use air instead of water to weep? I find air works better once solenoid opens air blows through and in a few seconds everything in empty plus you save on water. Just wondering

MEP001

Reaction score
tobaccofarmer said:
Do any of you guys use air instead of water to weep?
I've never tried it, but I have doubts it will get enough liquid out of the hose to work effectively.

slash007

Reaction score
I ordered six of the needle valves and changed the weep mizer to 30 sec. cycles instead of 1 minute. Supposed to warm all this week, so I guess I'll see how that setup works next week. Thanks for all of the advice.

Randy

Reaction score
I’ve seen some pretty haywire weep systems over the years. The best one I can remember is the one that had a solenoid valve on every system or 4 per bay. It was all wired the old with flat TV antenna wire, what a mess. None of the car washes we’ve done have a water regulator installed. Our water pressure runs around 45 psi so we don’t use a water regulator. We also figure that a regulator on the weep system is another maintenance item to service or fail. We use the default program on the Weepmizer. We probably dump more than we need to but I hate to have to thaw out a frozen bay. Sometime I’m going to have to measure the amount of water we weep per minute to see how much we weep.

Is your Weepmizer temperature reading pretty close to the real temperature now? With the newer digital Weepmizers with the Yellow cable adjusting the Temperature reading is different than with the older Weepmizers.

slash007

Reaction score
I installed the needle valves and they did give me the precise control that I was looking for. Unfortunately one issue I seem to have is that after I getting all six bays set to the amount of weep I wanted, I have had several freeze ups this week. When I thaw the pipes out I am finding that no water was weeping in the frozen bays and I have had to adjust the metering valves again in order to get the weep flowing. What would cause water to stop flowing after the valve is adjusted and then not flow again until it is opened up a little more? I would think that once it is set nothing should move. I don't see debris stopping it up though I suppose anything is possible. Thoughts?

Randy

Reaction score
That’s odd. How much water pressure do you have on the weep system? Do you have a pressure regulator on the Weep water? How much water are you weeping? My city water pressure is around 55 psi. I don’t have a regulator on the weep water, straight city water pressure. I do weep more water than I probably should but I don’t want to have deal with frozen hoses. Which system is freezing up, High pressure or Foam brush or both?

slash007

Reaction score
Another thing, I didn't see any arrows or direction markers on the valves. Do they have to be installed so that the flow goes in a certain direction?

slash007

Reaction score
That’s odd. How much water pressure do you have on the weep system? Do you have a pressure regulator on the Weep water? How much water are you weeping? My city water pressure is around 55 psi. I don’t have a regulator on the weep water, straight city water pressure. I do weep more water than I probably should but I don’t want to have deal with frozen hoses. Which system is freezing up, High pressure or Foam brush or both?
City pressure is about 55 psi as well. The high pressure is what is freezing as unfortunately I don't have a weep system for my brushes at this wash. They just freeze up in cold weather.

slash007

Reaction score
I’ll measure the amount of water I’m weeping from my High Pressure guns and get back to this post.

I would recommend using Kleen-rite Winter Foam brush soap in your foam brush system http://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-5147-kleen-rite-anti-freeze-detergent-55-gallon-white.aspx
I never thought of using the anti-freeze soap, seems like a great idea! I will give it a shot. About the needle valves, I am researching and see references to installing them in a certain flow direction. I didn't see any arrows or markers on the valve, but remember that one of the inside is high and one is low. Does it matter which direction the needle valve is installed?