What's new

Best Pump Motor

OASIS WASH

Reaction score
Ive got a couple different pump motors in this new operation that I bought. (Cat, Weg, and Baldor) I have 2 motors down right now and need to replace. What is the most reliable brand, and where to buy for the best price?

Its a 5HP, 3 phase, 1725-1740RPM's, they are all connected to Cat 340 Pumps.

Thanks!!

soapy

Reaction score
I have all Baldor motors at every location and have never replaced one in 25 years.

MEP001

Reaction score
Cat pump motors are usually Baldor. They had a bad spell about 10 years ago but they've always been good in my experience. I don't know anything about WEG motors.

Reaction score
I have Baldors at one of my washes that were submerged in salt water during a hurricane in 2008 and still running today. I have replaced a few over the years as the bearing noise became too much to bear but still running. Only one I ever had completely short out was when a HP hose blew in the ER and was drenching it with water while it was running. My other wash has Lincoln motors that I believe are no longer available. I am almost positive they are original from when it was built in 1978 so obviously they are pretty good as well. I think Leeson bought the motor division of Lincoln.

MEP001

Reaction score
I have a pile of bad motors waiting to go to the recycler, they're all either Dayton or Leeson.

OurTown

Reaction score
Is it cost prohibitive to have a motor shop rebuild these smaller 5HP motors?

MEP001

Reaction score
It's worth replacing bearings (Some shops can do it for about $100), but if it's burned up it will cost more to have it rewound than to replace it.

Kevin James

Reaction score
We've got a bunch of older 3 ph Dayton an Leeson motors, they seem to be fine.

MEP001

Reaction score
Older ones were okay. I avoid Dayton whenever I can, even though I can get them a fair bit cheaper than Baldor.

Randy

Reaction score
I've got 35 year old 3 Hp. 3 Ph. Dayton motors running my Cat 310 pumps at 1500 psi. I've never had a problem with them. It's to bad Dayton doesn't build a motor like that anymore.

OurTown

Reaction score
About how long ago do you guys think that Dayton started to "turn"?

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
WEG is the best that's what we use at the university in industrial settings for lab air and critical motors in the hospital and research labs but your going to pay for it. Baldor is second which something as small as where all talking about it fine will do just fine. If money is not a option WEG is the one to buy. A lot of guys at work say Baldor was awesome 20 years ago but has cut back on quality in the windings and bearings is what they say at work in our specialty motor shop for what its worth. I have Baldor myself at my wash. The old GE Motors where good also.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
About how long ago do you guys think that Dayton started to "turn"?
Around 2000 is when we switched to Baldor. We were getting Baldor cheaper, but Dayton was going downhill about then anyway. I went to Grainger with six failed motors all under warranty. Their level of care was so low that after issuing warranty credit instead of having me bring them in the guy asked me to back my truck up to the dumpster and he'd come out and help me throw them in it.

Etowah

wash4me

Reaction score
Dayton sucks. I personally like Weg and they don’t really cost more than the others if you’re buying a single motor. That being said any namebrand motor for a five horse 3 phase should run for a long long time. I drill holes in the bottom of the end bell if they don’t have plugs. Make sure overloads are functioning properly and if one trips figure out why before resetting. As far as what oems use it’s low bidder amongst the brands you’ve heard of.

Last edited:

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Has anybody here had to rebuild a Baldor motor yet? or would it be more cost effective to just buy new?.

MEP001

Reaction score
Has anybody here had to rebuild a Baldor motor yet? or would it be more cost effective to just buy new?.
The bearings can be replaced. If it's burned out it's going to cost more than a new one to have it rewound.

I've taken two bad motors, one with bad bearings and one with burned windings and made a good motor from them. I didn't remove the good bearings from the shaft, I just took the whole rotor out and swapped it. I heated the bad bearing races to see if I could get them off, and they pretty much just fell off. The whole process was very easy. You can get a pair of bearings for $20-30.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
No mine are ok I was just curious about it. I would like to take one of mine in to be tested to make sure it still has the 1725 R.P.M still or if it's wearing down.