What's new

Best pressure reducing valve for the wash? My watts are crap.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I think a few years ago my municipal water supply went up significantly in pressure. I now have street pressure in the 140-150psi range. This is at a 4/2 that could potentially flow up to 100 gpm or so. I'm getting rapid failures out of the watts LF-AUB-Z3 2" regulators and the subsequent rebuilds. Last year I installed a HP model so that I had two regulators in series and the setup lasted less than a year before pressure is again over 100 psi in the equipment room. The high pressure in the equipment room has extruded the O-ring on my softener head so now it's leaking and everything is becoming a huge PITA. Watts engineers recommended another "industrial grade" PRVs they sell AND install in series but that will be close to a 8-10K job when all said and done if I go that route. I'm looking at the Zurn 500XL as an alternative. Does anyone have any experience with those? Any other recommendations for my situation? Thanks

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Curious if you've inquired with the water department as to why their pressure is so high? What changed?

OurTown

Reaction score
What was the pressure before the change? I would think many other businesses and residents would have plumbing issues with 140-150 psi. Does the city expect everyone to have a PRV?

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
What was the pressure before the change? I would think many other businesses and residents would have plumbing issues with 140-150 psi. Does the city expect everyone to have a PRV?
My thoughts exactly. Most plumbing codes require you to have 80PSI or less and that is what manufacturers build to. I've actually seen video of softener heads exploding from 120PSI. You may want to check local codes.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I've had no luck contacting anyone at the municipal water company, which has a reputation for being poorly run and managed. Customer service gives me a number but no one answers. My backflow guy says it's common for him to see in excess of 100 psi. I may have to try harder to see if i can get an answer. I have ordered a zurn-wilkins XL-500. (about $800 from supply house)to try to see if it holds up any better. Will let you guys know