What's new

Best of '07 & New for '08

Jim the car wash guy

Jim the car wash guy
Reaction score
Just curious about two things:

1. What was the best thing--business wise--you did in 2007? I'm thinking along the lines of improved processes, added systems or features, new equipment, selling out or expanding, creating new revenue streams, that sort of thing.

2. What is on the very short list of to-do's for 2008? Again, along the same lines as above.

Thanks!

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
1)Freebies for the customer that raise perceived value: Soapy's free towel service, prep station for automatic, and a carpet mat cleaner, all gratis.

2) Credit Card acceptance in SS bays. I'm in a high income area. Even the teens use debit/credit cards. Gotta try something to get that SS revenue higher, and now that a low cost CC system is out there it is worth a try.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
1). Best in 2007 SS ... Bought property next to my tunnel (worst thing... bought property next to my tunnel at a premium during a deflation in property values). Added new I-wash... worst...added new I-wash (install issues mostly...not equipment mostly). Added credit card acceptance NO BRAINER!

2). Made a few days ago a Towel rack out of 2 55 gal drums covered with Simoniz drum covers stacked on top of each other. I cut holes in them so they look like a stacked washer/dryer combo and placed vinyl letters next to the "door opening" that says CLEAN & DIRTY. I get surgical towel by the dozens from the hospital for free every week that I have no use for so I put them in the upper "CLEAN" drum. I made a sign that says TOWELS over the drums. It's rather neat looking! I also a month ago made a "FREE VAC STATION" at the SS wash from 9am-5pm MONDAY -FRIDAY so my tunnel EE washes and the SS customers can vac for free to build loyality.

I have new competition 4/1 being built 1 1/2 miles away (bad location) and a new IBA 1/2 mile up the road. Neither could offer towels or a central vac at their site. I started marketing today and God forgive me for saying this... a $3 wash... but only as a PRE-PAID PACKAGE of 5 for $15 at the XPT and they can use the free vacs at the SS. This CROSS MARKETS BOTH WASHES. I also raised the prices of the full service washes. I gave the customer a lot of PERKS while raising the potential for porfit of services that require labor. 2008 is going to be a tough year... projections on the real estate market are that the recovery will not occur until as late as 2012 in some areas of Florida! A major building project in my town (4000 homes) has been pushed back 3 years!

Last edited:

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I was reading that the Fl market (housing) was down 10%. If the prices over the last 5 years or so were up 100% It would appear to me that while a pain in the butt, its far from fatal. That big of a drop doesn't move me to start investing in FL, yet.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
I was reading that the Fl market (housing) was down 10%. If the prices over the last 5 years or so were up 100% It would appear to me that while a pain in the butt, its far from fatal. That big of a drop doesn't move me to start investing in FL, yet.

Bill,

That's not entirely correct. Some markets are down over 15% in one year. My area was growing at 15-20% per year over the past 3-4 year. The Florida keys grew a few years ago at 25-35% for a few years in a row.... they will be under water in 20 more years!

Anyway... a cool site here... look at your market projections for 2008!
http://www.housingpredictor.com/

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Up a notch from 'rinky dink'

Best of 2007: My free towel dry station for all customers, offered on weekends during attended hours. I got this idea directly from Soapy and it's been a big hit with my customers. When I forget to put it out there they remind me;'are you going to put the towel dry statio out???"

New for 2008:A brand new, Laurel, 3-column, electronic vendor. To feature Armorall packs, Window cleaner and 'The BIG Towel'.