What's new

Best Locks / deals

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Need to replace about 80 discuss locks. Need them keyed alike,

Suggestions for best locks / deals please

Reaction score
look into a self storage magazine, look up iss, inside self storage, they have really good prices.

MEP001

Reaction score
You can get the Master Lock version quite a lot cheaper, you can order them keyed alike and order more of the same key number later. There are 10,000 different keys vs. about 26 for the Buffo locks. They even look better.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Per comment checked out Inside Self Storage. Then found Keymart.com
Explained that someone had gotten a key to my disc lock. They actualy have a private brand. Price in quantity seems to be half of an ABUS. I hope quality is comparable. Issues have rarely been brute force attack on the locks and none with lock guards installed or in place. I will let you know my opinion on quality when they arrive.

Anyway, when I change them out I can make someone out of state a sweet deal on 40 or so Abus High Security locks keyd alike.

MEP001

Reaction score
The self-storage locks are crap. They're stiff to open and close, rust up inside and have even fewer different keys than the standard Buffo. That's why they're so cheap.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
The self-storage locks are crap. They're stiff to open and close, rust up inside and have even fewer different keys than the standard Buffo. That's why they're so cheap.
Guess I am gonna find out . Big time. Also ordered some of their lock lube.

P

Patrick H. Crowe

I realize I'm too late with this response but it might help others.

1. There are now rekeyable disc type locks. That way the locks can be saved even if a key to the keyed alike models gets lost or stolen. Of course they are more expensive from the get go but could be cheaper in the long run, right?

2. Why have 80 keyed alike? To me there needs to be priorities. For example: We used disc type locks, always with lock guards, on almost all items. The ones on vac clean out doors were low security and they were all keyed one way.

Any lock, the removal of which would allow the person to get small amounts of money (vendor) was clearly a notch up in importance and so they were keyed alike but differently from the ones on vac clean out doors.

Locks allowing entry to the equipment room and/or the extra security locks on my bill changers were the very high security/rekeyable type. To risk 80 locks all at once seems unusually risky.

3. I did the original article exposing the Abus discs as having very few keyed alike different locks. If memory serves there were about a dozen different keys. I caught on to this when I saw a man with a bunch of those keys. I went to a locksmith I knew and he confirmed my suspicion. After hours of calls and research the article ran front page (though years ago) in a car wash journal.

High security and rekeyable locks followed. I was able to get a partial refund on some recently purchased ones. I was also able to sell some of the older ones but warned the buyers of the potential risks.

4. In a later piece I exposed the inherent flaws in the so called plug type locks from Medco. Thought to be 100% secure they proved to be anything but and major additional protection was (is) needed for these locks on vaults.

To sum up: lock security is a critical concern. The crooks are constantly experimenting and the need to keep one step ahead in paramount.

Patrick H. Crowe

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Here's why 80. Between 4 places I have 26 drop shelf venders with 2 locks each. some vendors drop the coins into vaults so the locks only secure the merchandise. On the vacs, some are double locked with a lock bar and seperate coin box gem type / round key lock, maybe 14 or so of those. but there are a few that have only the lock bar and no secondary lock ..... yet. One location has 12 of those. There are a few other machines with the same discus lock only. So, before you know it you are up to 80. So, between those llocks and others such as Vaults, Changers, Doors, Safes, vehicles etc. the number of keys was already substantial without having multiple keys for the ones currently keyed alike.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Rec'd the locks . So far so good. Looks comparable to the Abus, but has 4 drain holes . One directly opposite the key entry and 3 on the edge at 3-6-9:00. Stainless body, hardened shackle, brass lock.

Out of 84 rec'd one did not open. Possible a different Key # got in with the bunch but I opened all the packs and thru the keys in an envelope. They are crediting me for 1 w/out having to send it back.

Cannot speak to variety and availability of key #s In quantity, keyed alike they were less than $5.00 each Keyed alike plus S&H from Keymart inc. Which can be found on the web. http://www.keymart.com/

Time will tell vis a vis any corrosion issues. Plan to lube them a few times a year as I did with the Abus.