What's new

Best combo vac/shampooer?

slash007

Reaction score
I currently have 2 simple Adams vacs at one of my washes and wanted to add at least one but maybe two combo shampoo/vacs and was looking for opinions on which way to go? What would you buy if you had the chance to start fresh? I want something that is reliable and very user friendly. Thanks.

MEP001

Reaction score
We have three Doyle Fresh Impressions vac/fragrance/shampooers, no real problems with them except for picking up all the hoses. They pretty much pay for themselves every year. Customers like the convenience of being able to vacuum, shampoo and use fragrance all from one station. They only cost a little more than a Fragramatics shampoo/vac or fragrance/vac.

slash007

Reaction score
I will look into those. Would be nice to have 3/1. What's the best place to buy them from?

MEP001

Reaction score
Kleen-Rite used to have them listed on their site, but I don't see them now. They may have switched to IVS.

If I remember correctly they had the Doyle units for $4600.

JustClean

Reaction score
We've got a separate JE Adams shampoo/fragrance machine. I like the fact that if it ever breaks the vacs have nothing to do with it. So an "out-of-order" sign on the vac don't confuse people. Additionally people have to spend money to activate the shampoo/fragrance and they can't just switch. Another good thing is the LED instead of the liquid as I heard a lot of people have problems with leaks. One thing I'd would love to see would be a pull-up system (like on the old petrol browsers) to keep the hoses tidy. I only replaced the stupid toggle switches with a rotary one.

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Have 15 of the larger Coleman Combos. * Shampoo n vacs an 7 Fresh n Vacs. The last 2 new ones I got with Bill acceptors. Would always now order new with bill acceptors. On some of the Units I mounted either a tire aire inflator machine or on the Shampoo N Vac I mounted a seperate air freshenre machine. Cobos seem to do better than stand alone units. I would say there are very few problems. Every few years, in same cases ten or more a coin mech or timer needs replacement. Shampoo or fragence hoses every two years or so. Replaced a couple of shampoo pumps in all the years, and a couple of compressors as well. If you are in a area that freezes uses anti freeze shampoo starting a month before freezing temps are expected. Units have heaters and blowout cycles but if the electricity fails you will have a big problem.

slash007

Reaction score
One of my washes has 7 Jim Coleman units. 3 regular vacs, 2 sham/vac and 2 frag/vac. They haven't been hard to maintain so far though I do have a frag/vac that only puts out air and so far I haven't been able to figure out the problem. I have only had this wash for a year, so I don't know how the long term maintenance is. They are also the swipenclean compatible units so you have to push a button on the keypad to activate the desired function and it confuses the crap out of people. 9 out of 10 complaints that I have from people that it doesn't work are simply them not pushing the #1 to turn on the vacuum even thought it clearly states push 1 to vac. I understand that the non snc units should be simpler, so maybe I will check those out but I do like the idea of 3/1 machines.
I see that Adams sells a combo vac/tire shine. Does anyone have experience with a tire shine machine? Not sure what the demand would be for something like that. I currently have six Adams super vacs at the wash that I am adding a combo vac and I haven't decided if I am going to replace 1-2 machines with the combos or maybe just add them somewhere for a total of 8.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
though I do have a frag/vac that only puts out air and so far I haven't been able to figure out the problem..
1. Are fragrance bottles full?

2. Do hoses reach bottom of Fragrance container.
3. Turn unit on, Choose fragrance and hold finger over air on gun to force air backward. It should bubble out of the chosen fragrance container. If not the hose is messed up or the solenoid is not opening. If it doesn't pull hose from hose side of solenoid and see if air comes out. Take hose from container of that unit, disconnect compressor hose and hook up that hose to compressor. See if compressor blows thru to gun.
4. If there are issues with solenoids opening check electrical suppply. If good take apart solenoid and clean. If still not working you may have to replace solenoid valve. Never had it happen on these units.
HAd one goofy item where small poly hose got behind Fragrance bottle sand rested against heater and melted. If solenoids are all good, replace hose assemply and gun.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I see that Adams sells a combo vac/tire shine. Does anyone have experience with a tire shine machine? .
Years ago had one from a company called Effex. It had a gun with a button and sprayed it on like the spray on a fragrance machine. Made a mess with runoff and seemd to clog a lot. Still have it over on the side. May use for a tire inflator one day. MAybe the ones with the paad applicators are less hassle.

slash007

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions Earl, I will try them out. One thing I wanted to mention was that it has a snc and after pushing 4 to select fragrance, it kicks on right away before a particular scent is selected. Is that normal, or is it supposed to stay off until one of the 3 scent buttons are pushed?

MEP001

Reaction score
It's probably the compressor turning on, then the fragrance selection opens the solenoid.

slash007

Reaction score
It's probably the compressor turning on, then the fragrance selection opens the solenoid.
Possibly, but I was pretty sure that on my other frag/vac the compressor only turns on when a scent is selected. I will double check to make sure. Any thoughts on a turbo vac? I have regular 2 motor vacs now, but see a few shampoo/vacs that also offer turbo vacs and wasn't sure if people actually would like it better/use it more.

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
I currently have 2 simple Adams vacs at one of my washes and wanted to add at least one but maybe two combo shampoo/vacs and was looking for opinions on which way to go? What would you buy if you had the chance to start fresh? I want something that is reliable and very user friendly. Thanks.
Have you looked at Fragramatics? I have 4 Vac/Fragrance and 4 Vac/Shampoo. If I had it do do over again I might only have two Shampoo vacs and the ones with Fragrance probably do twice what the Shampoo ones do. They are very good machines and well designed/engineered. You buy them directly from Fragramatics.

slash007

Reaction score
Have you looked at Fragramatics? I have 4 Vac/Fragrance and 4 Vac/Shampoo. If I had it do do over again I might only have two Shampoo vacs and the ones with Fragrance probably do twice what the Shampoo ones do. They are very good machines and well designed/engineered. You buy them directly from Fragramatics.
That's interesting as my shampoo/vacs do much better than the fragrance/vacs. I didn't think there was much demand for fragrance/vacs and was considering putting in only the shampoo/vacs unless I decided to go with a machine that had all 3. I will look into Fragmatics. Thanks.

slash007

Reaction score
1. Are fragrance bottles full?

2. Do hoses reach bottom of Fragrance container.
3. Turn unit on, Choose fragrance and hold finger over air on gun to force air backward. It should bubble out of the chosen fragrance container. If not the hose is messed up or the solenoid is not opening. If it doesn't pull hose from hose side of solenoid and see if air comes out. Take hose from container of that unit, disconnect compressor hose and hook up that hose to compressor. See if compressor blows thru to gun.
4. If there are issues with solenoids opening check electrical suppply. If good take apart solenoid and clean. If still not working you may have to replace solenoid valve. Never had it happen on these units.
HAd one goofy item where small poly hose got behind Fragrance bottle sand rested against heater and melted. If solenoids are all good, replace hose assemply and gun.
Earl,

I started with your check list and after getting to # 3 I put my finger on the tip of the gun and it did start to bubble at the other end. After that fragrance now comes out instead of just air. The problem I have now is that no matter what scent is selected, it always defaults to only one, what ever is hooked up the solenoid that is the bottom most. What would cause that?

Thanks.

MEP001

Reaction score
Did you check the solenoids to see if the ones selected are energizing?

slash007

Reaction score
Did you check the solenoids to see if the ones selected are energizing?
Not yet. I was in a rush and left right after getting the fragrance to come out. I suspect it might be the solenoids and will test them, but figured that I would ask here first just in case I should be checking something else.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Earl,

I started with your check list and after getting to # 3 I put my finger on the tip of the gun and it did start to bubble at the other end. After that fragrance now comes out instead of just air. The problem I have now is that no matter what scent is selected, it always defaults to only one, what ever is hooked up the solenoid that is the bottom most. What would cause that?

Thanks.
Could be any of several things. As suggested please check to see each chosen selection sends juice to the proper solenoid. The bottom one could be stuck open and the others clogged or not energizing. If they each energize as they should you could pull the liquid supply hose off the supply side of the solenoid and do the finger over the tip thing and see if air comes out the solenoid as it's selected. If not pull the hose off the exit side of the solenoid and see if air comes out of the tube. If it does not the tube is clogged. You may be able to blow it out by connecting it directly to the compressor. If that doesn't work you will have to replace it. If the air comes out the tube and the solenoid is enrgizing, you may be able to unstick the solenoid (before you replace it) by removing the coil, unscrewing the stem and lubricating the plunger. Make sure you don't loss the spring and plunger when you dissasemble. I have also cleared out lines and solenoids by taking really hot water and putting that at the supply. Good luck.

pgrzes

Reaction score
I have had a Coleman Super Vac/Shampooer for over 8 years, I have only ever put 1 motor on it and very seldom needs brushes. I feel the large cannister and bags draws better on the motors!! I just picked up 9 more Coleman Combo Units that I have been rebuilding, and replacing my Fragramatics and Monorail units and Everyone loves them, and so do I!!! Everytime I collect!!! These machines were very easy to work on they were left outside out of service for nearly 3 years, domes off!!! Doors stolen!! Cleaned up solonoids, fresh decals, IDX MA800's some fresh lights and motors and away they go!!! 9 new vacs for under 9K.
One thing I have always done with fragrance machines, is every so often I take a bottle of methanol and put pickup tubes into the bottle and flush out all lines and solonoids, some of the fragrances gum everything up. dont change from water to oil base or vice versa.

MEP001

Reaction score
pgrzes said:
One thing I have always done with fragrance machines, is every so often I take a bottle of methanol and put pickup tubes into the bottle and flush out all lines and solonoids, some of the fragrances gum everything up. dont change from water to oil base or vice versa.
I only use Fragramatics brand oil-based fragrances and never have issues with gummed up lines or solenoids.