What's new

Best Change Machine

Randy

Reaction score
I took 2 bills soaked them under the faucet, pat dried them on a towel, they were still pretty wet. I tried putting them into a AE2631D5 validator, the first was rejected, after about a dozen tries with the second bill it took it, it never would take the first bill. I then hooked up a AE2412U3 validator and tired inserting the damp bills, they both had started to dry out, after a number of attempts the AE2412 took both bills, but by that time they had dried out some more, but you could still feel the wetness on the bills. I don’t think there’s any validator that will take wet bill with any kind of regularity.

Kar B Kleen

Reaction score
I took 2 bills soaked them under the faucet, pat dried them on a towel, they were still pretty wet. I tried putting them into a AE2631D5 validator, the first was rejected, after about a dozen tries with the second bill it took it, it never would take the first bill. I then hooked up a AE2412U3 validator and tired inserting the damp bills, they both had started to dry out, after a number of attempts the AE2412 took both bills, but by that time they had dried out some more, but you could still feel the wetness on the bills. I don’t think there’s any validator that will take wet bill with any kind of regularity.
My issue is NOT with a wet bill only slightened with a few drops of water.

Kar B Kleen

Reaction score
Just wondered if it made a difference. Being in a controlled environment such as your shop may make a difference also.

OurTown

Reaction score
@Kar B Kleen
I have the same problem, if it's raining my change machine is basically unusable. Seems like if a bill gets hit by a single drop of water it'll get rejected. My acceptors like 5 years old now but I think it's been happening since day 1 as well. I haven't let it bother me too much cuz most of the people I see it happen to are trying to get laundry money, but please let me know if you are able to fix it.

This is exactly the issue we have. Also we do not have an overhang for our changer so it always gets wet. It has the flip up weather cover on it and does not seem to help much. Many times I'm there when someone is trying to get one to take and I tell them their bill is damp and they tell me it's not. I trade it for another that's dry and it works perfectly the first time. The bill they were trying to use just BARELY feels damp. This has happened since day one. It seems like the Hamilton XE is very similar in dampness sensitivity to the Mars.

Overachiever

Reaction score
Also we do not have an overhang for our changer so it always gets wet.
Same, I've debated getting an awning quite a few times but I also have gotten quite a few laughs at the laundry quarter people in a downpour trying and failing to get quarters. I have a ring doorbell right next to the change machine so I can hear them screaming at the machine as they get soaked.

But yeah, it's still pretty annoying. I don't think I had this issue when I had bill acceptors on my meter boxes :unsure:

I think I probably have high security enabled because I accept $1s-$100's in it, might be related?

edredtop

Reaction score
The best bill changer you can buy is a Hamilton DRS with a Mars validators. https://www.hamiltonmfg.com/product/drs/
If you have a Rowe there is a Standard conversion kit available https://standardchange.com/modular-retrofit-kit/ If the bill changer is in good condition then it might be worth your while to do a conversion.
Have to agree, changed out the guts of 3 Standard Changemakers with a conversion kit (you can keep the hoppers and power supply). Very easy to do, and they have been absolutely trouble free, I've forgotten how much I hated those old System 500s and how much maintenance they needed.

Etowah