What's new

Beneficial Ownership Filing.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Seems entities formed after 01-01-2024 have 90 days to file. Entities formed before that have one year. Failure to fie can incur huge penalties. Good news is it is easy and free to file. Have a Copy of your driver License on your hard drive and your EIN number handy before you start. Consult your legal and Tax Professionals for any questions. https://www.fincen.gov/boi

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
It is I. . I had heard about this and thought it was only for entities formed after 1/1/2024 but learned from accountant new entities must get it done within 90 days of formation. Existing entities have a year to get it done. PITA!

OurTown

Reaction score
I love how it states that if you are a "large operating company" you are exempt from registering. WTF?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I love how it states that if you are a "large operating company" you are exempt from registering. WTF?
Large operating company (Exemption #21) An entity qualifies for this exemption if all six of the following criteria apply: 1. The entity employs more than 20 full time employees, when applying the meaning of full-time employee provided in 26 CFR 54.4980H-1(a) and 54.4980H-3. In general, “full-time employee” means, with respect to a calendar month, an employee who is employed an average of at least 30 hours of service per week with an employer.  Yes  No 2. More than 20 full-time employees of the entity are employed in the “United States,” as that term is defined in 31 CFR 1010.100(hhh).  Yes  No 3. The entity has an operating presence at a physical office within the United States. “Operating presence at a physical office within the United States” means that an entity regularly conducts its business at a physical location in the United States that the entity owns or leases and that is physically distinct from the place of business of any other unaffiliated entity.  Yes  No 4. The entity entity filed a Federal income tax or information return in the United States for the previous year demonstrating more than $5,000,000 in gross receipts or sales. If the entity is part of an affiliated group of corporations within the meaning of 26 U.S.C. 1504, refer to the consolidated return for such group.  Yes  No 5. The entity reported this greater-than-$5,000,000 amount as gross receipts or sales (net of returns and allowances) on the entity’s IRS Form 1120, consolidated IRS Form 1120, IRS Form 1120-S, IRS Form 1065, or other applicable IRS form.  Yes  No 6. When gross receipts or sales from sources outside the United States, as determined under Federal income tax principle, are excluded from the entity’s amount of gross receipts or sales, the amount remains greater than $5,000,000.  Yes  No

OurTown

Reaction score
Large operating company (Exemption #21) An entity qualifies for this exemption if all six of the following criteria apply: 1. The entity employs more than 20 full time employees, when applying the meaning of full-time employee provided in 26 CFR 54.4980H-1(a) and 54.4980H-3. In general, “full-time employee” means, with respect to a calendar month, an employee who is employed an average of at least 30 hours of service per week with an employer.  Yes  No 2. More than 20 full-time employees of the entity are employed in the “United States,” as that term is defined in 31 CFR 1010.100(hhh).  Yes  No 3. The entity has an operating presence at a physical office within the United States. “Operating presence at a physical office within the United States” means that an entity regularly conducts its business at a physical location in the United States that the entity owns or leases and that is physically distinct from the place of business of any other unaffiliated entity.  Yes  No 4. The entity entity filed a Federal income tax or information return in the United States for the previous year demonstrating more than $5,000,000 in gross receipts or sales. If the entity is part of an affiliated group of corporations within the meaning of 26 U.S.C. 1504, refer to the consolidated return for such group.  Yes  No 5. The entity reported this greater-than-$5,000,000 amount as gross receipts or sales (net of returns and allowances) on the entity’s IRS Form 1120, consolidated IRS Form 1120, IRS Form 1120-S, IRS Form 1065, or other applicable IRS form.  Yes  No 6. When gross receipts or sales from sources outside the United States, as determined under Federal income tax principle, are excluded from the entity’s amount of gross receipts or sales, the amount remains greater than $5,000,000.  Yes  No

I saw that. The little guys have to comply and not the big ones. I still say WTF?

eckert16

Reaction score
weep when you read...and realize the CTA targets you.

And exempts...some well known political family in high office, which has family LLCs and are in the news, their LLCs have been shown to have zero legitimate business purpose...and yet have passed millions of dollars thru their LLCs... (aka money laundering)... however...due to the sheer size of the dollar amounts being passed thru the LLCs...those family member LLCs are EXEMPT from reporting under the 'Money Laundering' statute of the Corporate Transparency Act... get this.....read it again...due to the sheer size of money laundering...their LLCs are exempt from reporting.
But... you... as a small business owner, better beware of that $600 expense that needs reporting on the IRS Form 1099, or the IRS boot thugs are coming for you.

The Corporate Transparency Act, signed by biden, targets entrepreneurs and small business owners specifically. You as a small business owner now are required to be entered in the CRIMINAL database which is available across the country, and the data base is available to foreign countries. AND NO, they do not need a warrant nor judge order.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
" The willful failure to report complete or updated beneficial ownership information to FinCEN, or the willful provision of or attempt to provide false or fraudulent beneficial ownership information may result in a civil or criminal penalties, including civil penalties of up to $500 for each day that the violation continues, or criminal penalties including imprisonment for up to two years and/or a fine of up to $10,000. Senior officers of an entity that fails to file a required BOI report may be held accountable for that failure. "

Reactions: sjb

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Can someone smarter than me put this in a nut shell? I understand that we are required to register as owner/operators. But what is this BOI or Small Entity Compliance Guide "Actually" going to be used for? All this information should be readily available with our LLC filing. I have read through the 57 page compliance guide below and only thing I get out of it is that all you have to do is register?

BOI Small Compliance Guide v1.1 (fincen.gov)

OurTown

Reaction score
Can someone smarter than me put this in a nut shell? I understand that we are required to register as owner/operators. But what is this BOI or Small Entity Compliance Guide "Actually" going to be used for? All this information should be readily available with our LLC filing. I have read through the 57 page compliance guide below and only thing I get out of it is that all you have to do is register?

Good question. Just more government overreach.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score

And exempts...some well known political family in high office, which has family LLCs and are in the news, their LLCs have been shown to have zero legitimate business purpose...and yet have passed millions of dollars thru their LLCs... (aka money laundering)... however...due to the sheer size of the dollar amounts being passed thru the LLCs...those family member LLCs are EXEMPT

#1. The LLC must have at least 20 employees. Do each of the LLCs you reference have at least 20 Employees?
#2 Each of the LLCs have at least $5 Million in income annually?
#3 Can you provide links to your sources or are they part of an agency with 3 initials?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I saw that. The little guys have to comply and not the big ones. I still say WTF?
I can only guess that with $5 Million in revenue and at least 20 employees you already are reporting plenty to the Fed.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score

1. Whatever you do with the LLC as far as possible ownership disclosures is done at the State Level. Applying for an EIN for the Corp / LLC does not require much Disclosure.
2. Seem all you have to do is register. Done 3 so far. Probably a 10 minute process for my Single Member operations. Just have a photo of your DL on your hard drive so you can upload it to the form as well as your EIN Handy.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score

And exempts...some well known political family in high office,

Passed under the Trump admonistration with Congress overriding Trumps Veto.
The Anti-Money Laundering Act of 2020, which is part of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2021 (“NDAA”) and includes the Corporate Transparency Act, became law effective with Congress’ override on January 1, 2021 of former President Trump’s veto of the NDAA. 1