What's new

Belt tightening tricks

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Have JC Super Savers at the washes and just wondering if you veteran guys have any tricks to tighten up the pump/motor belts?

Typically for me it's a 2 man job someone behind the stand pushing on the back of pump while another tightens up half inch bolts on the front of the stand.

Any better ways to approach this that you guys would share, thanks!

Randy

Reaction score
I use a "Belt jack" it takes some getting used to but they work.

MEP001

Reaction score
I use a 28 oz. Estwing steel handle framing hammer. Hook the claw end behind the manifold, push the hammer head against the front rail of the stand and pull down. I can easily tighten the belt with one hand and tighten up the right side pump rail nuts with the other.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Check this thread.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback!

@I.B. that was the thread I was looking for bc I remember the discussion but I must have searched it wrong.

mac

Reaction score
Tightening the belts should be one of the top things a manufacturer thinks about when building a pump stand. Self serve equipment I sold 35 years ago had a simple and easy mechanism to do that. Yes, this is the stupid things we put up with. You can actually make your own with a few pieces of scrap stainless and some hardware.

mac

Reaction score
Forgot to add this. My pumps have a factory tightening setup. When I tightened the last time the belts were snug but as I looked at the two pulleys, they were out of alignment. The factory made the pump mounting holes so big that if you just tighten them up, the pump pully points to a different place than the motor pully. So I had to use a 3' pry bar to align them while keeling the belts tight. The old Magic Wand system is still the best I've seen.

Randy

Reaction score
The best method is a couple blocks of wood and a 2 x 4 and pry the motor and pump to the desired tension. My old equipment has a bolt that pulls the pump straight back to tighten the belts. Mac right I don’t know why more manufactures do it that way, I guess it the cost of the added engineering.

mac

Reaction score
Randy, c’mon. The only engineers at manufacturing used to drive a train. Do you know what engineers use for birth control? Their personality.

MEP001

Reaction score
Anyone try the supco belt tension jack? It's cheap enough.
It looks exactly like one I got from JC Whitney years ago. It was a piece of crap and broke the second time I used it.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I made mine out of a turnbuckle (With loops/eyes) and 2 pieces of 1/2" plywood. Cut a small vee or radius in each of the pieces of plywood and bolt the plywood to the turnbuckle. Makes it easy to custom fit to your pully spacing. There's no way I'd tighten belts without something to hold in place. I like putting a straight edge on the outside of the pulleys to make sure they are perfectly aligned...There's no way to do that using a crow bar...

Last edited: