What's new

Bays accepting dollar bills and also dispensing dollar coins from changers

Reaction score
Anyone accepting dollar bills in their bays along with migrating from quarters to dollar coins. I can see the benefit of both being that our vacuums will not be upgraded anytime soon to accept bills.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
I like $1 coins from the changers, especially with no meter box bill acceptors. Just insure that every POS accepts $1 coins AND quarters.

I switched to dispensing $1 coins only in 1999. I'm still amazed that customer’s quarters still provide 20% of the cash sales in the bays and 33% of the cash sales at the vacuums.

chaz

Reaction score
I dispense only dollar coins from my changers. All my equipment takes bills, quarters, and dollar coins. S/s and auto Also take c/c. I am amazed how many quarters I take to the bank each week, and the need to replenish my dollar coins. My average spend is up with dollar coins as folks are often dropping another dollar instead of just a quarter as time is needed.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
About 4 years ago I put Bill acceptors - Seperate boxes from Etowah Valley in 4 of the 8 bays. Didn't think the D&S boxes were secure enough and figured if someone attacked the Bill box at least the whole bay would not be out of commission. (My Changers only dispense quarters and at this location vac only take quarters.) I realy do not like the idea of sorting quarters and dollar bills.. After 6 months I did the other 4 bays. Nice to see ont only 1's but also 5's and an occasional 10 in the Bay Bill box.

The Bill acceptors allowed me to use the Coinco Paper Tokens as well for Bulk Sales, giveaways etc.

Since a picture is worth 10,000 words here is a video of the setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPBxcHLP3mg

About 2 years ago I put Crytopay in half the Bays. After a year I did the other 4 bays.

I still need to "Buy" quarters to supply the changers.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Anyone accepting dollar bills in their bays along with migrating from quarters to dollar coins. I can see the benefit of both being that our vacuums will not be upgraded anytime soon to accept bills.
Monroe & others,

From our perspective ... your positive key words are migrating from "quarters to dollar coins".

We proceeded with bill acceptors about 3 years ago similar to Earl including the Coinco Paper Token option. For credit card acceptance we went the direction of a very accessible & well secured ATM. We can honestly say that by making the dollar coins very available at our location similar to Cantbreak & Chaz ... the only advantage to the bill acceptors is seeing the customers prefer using $5s & even $10s instead of $1 bills. Unlike Earl ... sorting of bills is a much bigger issue for us than dollar coins & quarters for our operation. Our MicroCoin QLs clearly are the winners when it comes to less possibility of a customer struggling with wet bills in our wet environment. An unattended car wash could gain redundancy with two coin mechs wired in parallel if redundancy to prevent downtime is a priority. If ATMs with coin output are requested more by us operators ... that style of ATM would provide some additional redundancy for the availability of the dollar coins over just our two bill changers.

The self service operators who advocate for "credit card use only" should become more cognizant of the impact to their NET INCOME because of uncertain future merchant fees. As far as banks charging for cash handling ... the key is to have our operations recycle the bills & coins as much as possible. Locally, we have found that some banks are smart enough to know that they will not have to order as many coins for their retail customers ... & do not charge for the processing of coins. Likewise on the bill side, for those of us who choose to go the ATM route with $5 bill output like we did will see like we have ... the trend towards the customer using the convenience of $5s rather than $1s. Again ... on the recycling side of the cash usage front ... the $5s are being recycled :) in our ATM.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

Reaction score
Mike - Great information. You mentioned dispensing 5.00 from the ATM machine. Are you dispensing multiple bill types or do you only dispense the 5 dollar bills.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Mike - Great information. You mentioned dispensing 5.00 from the ATM machine. Are you dispensing multiple bill types or do you only dispense the 5 dollar bills.
Monroe,

We were given a verbal quote on having 2 dispensers & it was around $800 more so we felt that we would not have gained enough with muliple bill value dispensing. In hindsight ... I think we would have gone to greater lengths trying to buy an ATM with a dollar coin hopper in addition (via end customer input) to the single bill dispensing. It seems like there would be very little involved for the manufacturer both software & hardware wise to have a reliable coin hopper functioning inside ... since the Distributor (of many brands of ATMs) already is setup for more than one denomination output in combination of bills dispensed ... the bill-coin combo is definitely do-able ... if enough business owners would see the value in having a coin dispense option & actually ask for it. Based on experience ... there is no question our end customers would see that as an improvement over just bills being dispensed since that would eliminate an extra step for them to one of our 2 Standard 600EF Changemakers.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com