What's new

bay timer/ ginsan timer issue

RockyMountain

Reaction score
I have a problem that needs some troubleshooting. When a quarter or dollar coin is dropped in the bay, the timer in the bay registers the time as does the Ginsan 401 in the equipment room. When 1.50 is reached, the Ginsan timer begins counting down, but the timer in the bay does not and the equipment does not turn on either. I have put a different Ginsan timer in that I know works, and that did not fix the problem. What else could it be?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

MEP001

Reaction score
The display timer doesn't control anything; it's just a slave dummy. Did you change the display timer or the one in the room?

mac

Reaction score
I've always thought this setup from Gin San was just plain stupid. Why do their vacuums and self serve bays need two different timers? It adds several hundred dollars to each with no benefit. Many other companies have been able to develop timers that show a display, and actually control something. In Gin San's case, when a quarter is dropped in the acceptor, a signal goes to the timer inside, then when it gets the right ammount, it sends a signal back out to the bay. I guess that if your goal is to sell timers, this makes sense.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Rocky,

Is this a new install, or existing? I would try switching the timers with another bay and check the wiring (weird ground issues, bad connections, etc).

I have a similar setup and had similar problems. I had relays and coin switch splitters to drive the GS-401, GS-35, vac-it-up timer and a Big Time timer display in the bay. Very complicated for nothing :(

Now I have the coin switch go into a Logo PLC and drive all those devices from the outputs. All problems solved. One day when I have the time, I will replace all the timers (except for the GS-35 and BigTime display timers) and just use the PLC. That will simplify everything and be cheaper!

Big

RockyMountain

Reaction score
Rocky,

Is this a new install, or existing? I would try switching the timers with another bay and check the wiring (weird ground issues, bad connections, etc).

I have a similar setup and had similar problems. I had relays and coin switch splitters to drive the GS-401, GS-35, vac-it-up timer and a Big Time timer display in the bay. Very complicated for nothing :(

Now I have the coin switch go into a Logo PLC and drive all those devices from the outputs. All problems solved. One day when I have the time, I will replace all the timers (except for the GS-35 and BigTime display timers) and just use the PLC. That will simplify everything and be cheaper!

Big
Wish I had the know how to pull that off. Perhaps in the future, but right now I am hoping to figure out this one! I'll switch the timers out again and check all wiring connections. I have no relays or splitters, so this seems like it should be an easier fix...

Reaction score
Terminal 2 on the 401 should have 24v when the timer in on, if it does check the same wire out in the bay for 24v.

Reaction score
I have never had a problem with ginsan if it was under warranty, sounds strange that both would be bad, is the gs31 in the door or mounted on the wall ? If it in in the door switch the door into another bay and see if it works. Call ginsan for a RMA before you send the parts back

www.carwashingsystems.com

bigleo48

Reaction score
Thanks and it didn't. Both the 401 and the back up timer were not working. Both less than a year old too. We'll see if Ginsan will back their products...

Thanks yall!
Had a couple of GS-31's go bad (couldn't driver the buzzer), but never a GS-401.

I suggest to contact Ginsan tech support also.

Big

MEP001

Reaction score
I know it used to be no problem getting anything warranty repaired/replaced. Hopefully it's still just as easy since the changing of hands.

Sudsy

Snodgrass
Reaction score
Hi
Could you explain how you use the plc i know what they are just cant draw the picture in my mind. Thats another way of saying stupid i guess

Etowah