What's new

Bay lights photocell location

Rtharlan

Reaction score
Where do you put your photocells for your bay lights? Outside or in the bay? Currently outside pointed down half covered and i still feel like they come on too late. Do i need higher quality sensor?

It seems to me it would naturally be a little darker in the bay, so wouldnt you want to sense the light in the bay?

thanks

PrecisionPyro

Reaction score
I would cover it a little more. If you have it sense the light in the Bay, it would more than likely trigger on/off every 3-5 minutes as it's picking up the light it's creating.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've fought with photo cells for bay lighting for years. I have never been able to find a location and adjustment that doesn't let them come on too dark, or stay on too long, or come on if it rains during the day. I ditched them and went with an astronomic timer. A good one is about as much as a mechanical timer, it's pre-programmed with all the sunrise/sunsets year 'round, and you can set usually two separate banks up to two hours before or after sunset or sunrise. I set the front half to come on 20 minutes before sunset and the back half at sunset, all off at sunrise. I used to have the back half go off at midnight, but LEDs are so cheap to run I just leave them on all night now.

This one runs off the batteries and switches the circuit even if the power is out:

Bill Capron

Reaction score
I just leave the LED lights on all the time. The power consumption is low enough that the security benefit of being well lit is worth the power cost.