What's new

Bay Lighting

Bill Manke

Reaction score
I have always had my lights on the side walls. But have seen some on the ceiling in the bays. Which way do you like them and why. Also how many per bay and what wattage? This is a new wash I'm building 5 self 2 autos. Thanks. Bill

MEP001

Reaction score
I like them on the ceiling, as you can sort of see in my avatar they're catacorner. I don't like the way they lose so much light output over a third of their life expectancy and I'm about to move back to fluorescents. They're making some now that produce the same light per watt as the pulse-start metal halides, and retain their light output over their 30,000 hour life expectancy.

Bay lights mounted on the walls would be fine if they made them designed for that, but they're meant for lighting a parking lot and throw light out more than down.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
Scottsdale Metal Halide 250watt fixtures, ceiling mounted. 3 lights per bay, one in middle stays on 24/7, 2 on the ends are on dusk to dawn.

Probably overkill, but we prefer to light the bay up so you could paint a car in it. We just don't tell our customers to do that!!

ScottV

washnvac

Reaction score
I prefer flourescents. They seem to have less shadowing than halides in the bay. Ofcourse, there are pros and cons to each product. For regular length bays (28 ft.) I use one 2-tube HO fixture mounted on each wall. I use the cold-temp HO bulbs which are 110 watts each. Therefore, 440 watts per bay. If I was installing new, I think there is t-8 fixtures available that produce the same light with less wattage.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I took over a wash and as they go bad I am replacing wall mount flourescents with 2 tube 4 ft HO flourescents. 2 on each wall. They are about 2 feet in from the end of the bay and seperated by about 4 feet. Lighting is great. I think each tube is 6o watts or total 480 per bay. They are multi voltage fixtures and i run them off 220V

If building new i would consider.

Wiring 2 at opposing corners to be on all night with the others triggered by motion.

A local operator had a diferent take and it works well.

His perimeter lot lighting has 1000 watt MH pole lights positioned so the pole is in line with the bay dividing wall and 2 heads are on each pole illuminating the lot, building and inside 1 bay for each. This is at the entrance and exit side of the lot. So , if there are 6 bays he has 3 poles on each side and 6 heads. Place is lit up like a pro ball field. Little addittional bay lighting is needed.

washme1

Reaction score
I am using new T5 energy efficient fluorescent fixtures. They light up the bays like a new car showroom. 30 foot bay, I have 4 four foot fixtures on the walls with two tubes in each. I received a large rebate from our utility provider so you may want to check with yours. I had to apply for rebate prior to purchase in order to qualify. I'm very pleased with the lights.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I am using new T5 energy efficient fluorescent fixtures. They light up the bays like a new car showroom. 30 foot bay, I have 4 four foot fixtures on the walls with two tubes in each. I received a large rebate from our utility provider so you may want to check with yours. I had to apply for rebate prior to purchase in order to qualify. I'm very pleased with the lights.

Did you get them from Kleen Rite? Just got two. Did not realize the T5 Bulb was different than the regular HO bulbs. Got them because the fixture was about half of what I pay for the HO fixture from Grainger.

BUT, AFAIAC, I thought the light output was so poor compared to the regular HO 4 ft. fixtures I did not put it up. USed it for area light in my equipment room instead.

Now, I am not sure what the deal is because KR specs 2 bulbs for both the 48" and 96" light. Perhaps the 96" are in line vs side by side???
Anyway since the catalog specs the bulb at 54W vs 60 watt for the regular HO, IMNSHO the 10% electricity savings vs loss of illumination is not worth it.

washme1

Reaction score
Did you get them from Kleen Rite? Just got two. Did not realize the T5 Bulb was different than the regular HO bulbs. Got them because the fixture was about half of what I pay for the HO fixture from Grainger.

BUT, AFAIAC, I thought the light output was so poor compared to the regular HO 4 ft. fixtures I did not put it up. USed it for area light in my equipment room instead.

Now, I am not sure what the deal is because KR specs 2 bulbs for both the 48" and 96" light. Perhaps the 96" are in line vs side by side???
Anyway since the catalog specs the bulb at 54W vs 60 watt for the regular HO, IMNSHO the 10% electricity savings vs loss of illumination is not worth it.
I don't know the specs. I think they were new on the market when I had them installed a couple of years ago. They are many times brighter than the metal halide fixtures they replaced. The lenses don't discolor, the premises seem safer and they illuminate the vehicles much better. I don't know how much savings there are, the other benefits made them worth the investment even without savings.

washme1

Reaction score
I got the lights through the electrical contractor I used. I don't think Kleen Rite would have had them at that time. They were back ordered for some time when I wanted them.

MEP001

Reaction score
Earl Weiss said:
Did not realize the T5 Bulb was different than the regular HO bulbs.
Some of the new T5 bulbs produce a lot more light per watt than the HO bulbs. The HO aren't more efficient than standard fluorescents, they just give more light and are higher wattage.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Some of the new T5 bulbs produce a lot more light per watt than the HO bulbs. The HO aren't more efficient than standard fluorescents, they just give more light and are higher wattage.
I believe my regular HO 4 ft bulbs are spec'd at 60 Watt where the T5 are spec'd at 54 watt. Can't speak to Light per watt output but just looking t them the regular HO produces a lot more light. Is it 10% more? really don't know. Just know that replacing with T5 would reduce light overal.