What's new

Bay Concrete Re-Pour

gshick

Reaction score
Hello,
This winter, the temperature did not get above freezing for several days in a row leaving several inches of ice in our bays. At one of our locations, water got under the cement bay floors in several of the bays and tore it to bits. It literally looks like a groundhog got under there in big chunks some as bad as 8 ft by 10 ft. The concrete was not poured properly when the car wash was built (probably mid 1980's) and we have patched some areas in the past but this is probably beyond a patch repair. Wondering if anyone has had to re-pour bays and have any advice in regards to expansion joints, angle slope to the pit, as well as 4 ft concrete aprons at the entrance and exit to the bays. Thanks!!

sparkey

Reaction score
Do you run floor heat? If the floor heat is on water shouldn't be freezing on the floor or under the floor?

gshick

Reaction score
This location does not have floor heat...may be interested in adding it if we have to bust up the old floors.

mac

Reaction score
Bite the bullet and tear up and repour.

chaz

Reaction score
Poured concrete. My builder years ago...talked me into prefab pits....though architect had speced poured pits. No floor heat close to pit edge means ice damming in winter plus always filling in the transport slots to keep crap out.

soapy

Reaction score
I have done a repour once. Make sure that when rebar is laid down that it is anchored into the good remaining concrete by drilling into it. Rebar on at least 2 foot centers but I prefer on 1 foot centers. Standard concrete here is 3500lb mix but I stepped it up to 4500 LBs. and added fiber mesh to the concrete. If you are doing poured pits make the mud section as large as you can for obvious reasons.