What's new

Bank deposits. Does anyone use a service where the bank picks them up?

doublj70

Reaction score
Hello,
I have several self serve locations, and worry sometimes about my wife, or myself walking into the bank and depositing large bags of cash (of course it's mostly singles, but from a distance it must look like a million bucks). Does anyone use a service where they pick up your deposits? My bank referred me to an armored car service they use, but they will only come to the business and don't come at set times, so sitting at one of my washes waiting around for hours with a bunch of deposits doesn't seem much better. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! John

Overachiever

Reaction score
Hello,
I have several self serve locations, and worry sometimes about my wife, or myself walking into the bank and depositing large bags of cash (of course it's mostly singles, but from a distance it must look like a million bucks). Does anyone use a service where they pick up your deposits? My bank referred me to an armored car service they use, but they will only come to the business and don't come at set times, so sitting at one of my washes waiting around for hours with a bunch of deposits doesn't seem much better. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! John
Chase has told me a couple of times that they have a drop box you can leave the money in and they'll count it later. They've been trying to get me to start doing that so I don't come in and make them count giant stacks of singles when other customers need help. Might be a little safer.

I had a little kid notice my 5 gallon bucket full of quarters and bills once and he started yelling out that I was a millionaire, definitely made me a little uncomfortable, haha. Now I keep it covered til I get to the front of the line.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I wouldn't even think of one of those services. I wouldn't want those strange cop wannabes knowing anything!
I use large dark canvas bags with no name on them . I always go the the bank early- no one is there at 8am.
Start using $1 tokens, and eliminate 60% of the quarters, and increase the safety at the washes also. Also increase your income!
Add cc's to also increase income and eliminate quarters. You said it is mostly singles- for me the 5's and 1' are sometimes equal in dollar amount because of tokens and bonus tokens. I think it is also probably safer in front of your bank than you think.

MEP001

Reaction score
Those "strange cop wannabes" are bonded and watched over more carefully than real cops.

Randy

Reaction score
LOL! No we’ve never used an armored car service to pick our money. There are few things that we do to protect ourselves. We never pull money when there are people around, I can just imagine some little kid yelling about all the quarters in the bucket. We pull the money from the vaults every other day. We pull the vacuums every day. We get to the car wash at around 0500, that’s 5am for those of you who don’t know, so we aren’t bothered and don’t have to interact with any of the customers, in and out as fast as we can. When we do a deposit at the bank we are the first customers of the day, they open at 0900 and we are there at 0901.

Robert2181

Reaction score
We have a self serve, laundromat, quick lube/tire center and tunnel. We go to the bank every time we collect. We change our collect times. Our local credit union has a coin counting machine we can use. We also have a night drop to use at ant time.

MudMoney

Reaction score
My other business is a courier service that deals with banks,one of the dirty secrets in this business is losses from "bonded" employees at ATM machines,coin picked up from businesses,etc.The public doesn't hear about it as it is handled internally,almost like embezzlement by the bookkeeper.You don't air the dirty laundry.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
We had an incident here where the security guys after two years got caught skimming 400 k, from atm . I wouldn't take free service from them. Also had an employee at my bank try stealing. It ended immediately. Trust yourself only. I also have a key for the outside drop box, if I want to use that , but usually the first in the bank!

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Have had a key for the "night Drop" for decades. Used it many times at odd hours or bank Holidays. Few issues.
Other than that the routine is varied. I sometimes joke (not too loudly) that it's a robbery in reverse. I come and leave a bag of Cash. I typiclay use Fed Ex Envelopes.

Robert2181

Reaction score
I think all banks have night drop or deposits. We too have had ours for years. Our bank and credit union supply the drop bags for free.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
night drop bags are the best bet IMO. the money is counted in a room closed off from the lobby of the bank. people see large stacks of cash and get crazy ideas; $250 in small bills looks like thousands to those unfamiliar with car wash operations.

seattleguy

Reaction score
We have an armored car pickup service for another business I own and they pick up the cash from the car wash as well. One pick up fee for both companies. It's a nice convenience for the wash's paper money and quarters and a necessity for the other company.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I think if I hadan armored car stop at my self serve washes that I would get some unwanted attention. I use night drop bags, drop them frequently, and go in once a month with quarters in buckets. It's a small bank, and not within my market area.