What's new

Ballpark figure for hooking up 3 gang blowdryers + 1 Air Shammee

soonermajic

Reaction score
The blowdryers have 3 blowers, & were already set by me, as was the Air Shammee.
Blowdryers are 3 bays over from pumphouse & Air Shammee was bay beside pumphouse.
I know there a lot of variables, but just looking for a ballpark figure.
I will tell final bill on Friday

soapy

Reaction score
I just hooked up 4 dryer motors that were added to a couple of IBAs. My conduit was already big enough so I could run the new wire without new conduit. I spent $2100 to get the power to all 4 dryers. We did the signal control wire ourselves. My guess would be around 4 to 5 K for what you are describing.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Well, the electrician estimated "about " $3000

Was just emailed the bill... $8000!!!!

OurTown

Reaction score
Well, the electrician estimated "about " $3000

Was just emailed the bill... $8000!!!!
That's nucking futs.

semocarwasher

Reaction score
I would have an issue with a $3000 estimate and then get a bill for $8000. I once had a roofer (friend) quote me a roof and then when done tried to charge about twice what his estimate was. We talked it out and ended up a little above his original price. I rarely beat a contractor up on price because I think you get better service when you are fair and allow them to make money. A $5000 miss on a $3000 estimate seems a little extreme though.

Kevin James

Reaction score
I don’t know how you guys can say that the bill was excessive when you don’t know the scope of the project. How many man hours were used on the job? How much material was used? Where there any panels, sub panels, motor starters etc. used? For a contractor to say it’d be about $3000 is absolutely crazy. Did he look at the job, did he do a bid on the job? Probably not. Did the contractor pull a permit for the Job? Did he give you an itemized invoice with every item that was used on the job, we would.
We recently bid a job at $14,500 at a business. The business owner went sideways when he got the bid. He hired another guy to come in and do the job for $10,350, paid him half up front. He got about halfway completed and walk off the job, the owner is a total jerk. The business owner called us and wanted it done. We got the necessary permits, there weren’t any permits. Redid 80% of what the first contractor did because it wasn’t up to code and gave the business owner a bill for $12,750. He would have been better off to hired us in the first place and it would have been done on time and little expensive.

OurTown

Reaction score
Maybe soonermagic will come back and explain it a little more.

soonermajic

Reaction score
still waiting on my call back, or text return. or voicemail return. The materials used were makred up about 30%. The cameras show the labor , which was shown to be 90 hrs, was actually about 67 & that is BEING GENEROUS! I was charged $50/hr labor, & that was including for a HS kid !!!

pgrzes

Reaction score
So you were given an estimate for $3000, but billed $8000? So then he had you sign something prior to the additional $5000 in charges explaining why so much more? If not, I think he would have a tough time justifying just billing more then double the estimate!! If you dont have an estimate, you will probably have to pay up if you go to court. I would probably try to work out something like, you told me $3000, and did not tell me it was going to be an additional $5000! I would not have approved that, Here is $4000 take it or leave it and this will be your last job here!! I dont understand contractors that do that **** to people, you give a price, you honor it! If they screwed up its on them. Good luck with this.

soonermajic

Reaction score
the estimate was verbal, not written (nor was a contract signed). He said "It should be somewhere around $3000, maybe a little more". $7900 is NOT "a little more".