What's new

ballasts

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I have wallpacks at my wash that are 175w metal halide. I need tp replace some ballasts but am not sure what to order. Is that all the info that I need to order them? The price range is impressive. I've seen from $32 to $219. How much should they cost?

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
I buy mine at www.murraylighting.com but there are a few other places that you can get them at a good price. Just google 175 watt ballast and you should find many.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've been using www.1000bulbs.com but for something like one ballast the shipping gets pretty high. Last time I ordered I got a ballast and 12 bulbs - the combined shipping was less than what I saved on the quantity discount for the bulbs, which still was $10 per bulb cheaper than anyone local.

Yes, "175W metal halide ballast" is all you need to order. Shop around locally and compare prices between that and ordering, you'll probably break even just going to Grainger.

waright

Reaction score
I have been replacing only the capacitor first. I take it to my local electric motor shop and if it tests out weak or inoperative, then a $10 replacement capacitor does the trick. Otherwise, Dultmeier has good pricing on the ballast kits.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Any decent electrical supply house has universal replacement kits for 175 watt metal halide lamps

Bud

NE Ohio
Reaction score
I have always found the problem to be the capacitor or bulb although I am sure a ballast could go bad. I also found the best solution to wall pack parts is to order a whole new light. It gives you all the parts you will need, capacitor, ballast, lense, reflectors etc. I always find myself changing out parts starting with a new bulb, then the capacitor. If these are not the problem they are easy to take back out and put on the shelf for the next time. I have also found a couple times after replacing capacitors that the problem was still there and both times it turned out that the new capacitors were bad. All my lights come from Kleen Rite.

MEP001

Reaction score
I was wrong about Grainger being an alternative - I stopped yesterday and got a couple spare belts and noticed the 175W MH ballasts on the shelf, marked at $119, so with tax it's close to $130. 1000bulbs.com has the Sola brand for $40, the Advance for $52.

I've gotten a pulse-start Sola to see if they're any good. It's only been in for a month so far, but at least it hasn't caught fire or anything.

MEP001

Reaction score
JIMT said:
Does the pulse start ballast make the light come on faster?
No, it's just a different type of metal halide. It doesn't gradually get brighter, it gets brighter in steps, but it takes just as long to reach full output.