What's new

Balanced Pressure Regulators - Online versus Offline

Jeff_L

Reaction score
The pressure for my foaming brush antifreeze system doesn't seem to change no matter which way I turn my Balanced Pressure Regulator (Offline). I've even unscrewed it all the way, and not sure i put the little plunger back in the right way. I've tried it both ways, but have the same results. Went to SMC's website (manufacturer) and they don't have an exploded view of the product available, so I guess I'll need to get another one.

Figuring I have a stuck regulator, I went online at Windtrax to find a new one to pick up today, however, I see there are two options, an INLINE one and an OFFLINE one. I cannot seem to find any information between the two. Can someone explain the difference between ONLINE and OFFLINE Balanced Pressure Regulators?

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
I cannot seem to find any information between the two. Can someone explain the difference between ONLINE and OFFLINE Balanced Pressure Regulators?
Offline is an "ell"
Online is a "tee"

MEP001

Reaction score
Jeff L said:
Yes, I see that from the pictures they provide, but that's it? Functionally there's no difference? The both operate in the exact same manner?
That's correct.

phred113

Reaction score
I will assume from your post count that you understand how plumb correctly - the flow coming out of your offline regulator goes back to the chemical or pump, not to the brush.:)

It seems odd to have a high pressure regulator on a low pressure operation. The model of SMC regulator would be helpful. They make a very small one that has a very small piston and seat, so it is possible that the flow going through is more than the little seat can handle and the seat has become a restriction.

It could be something else......:confused:

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
phred113 said:
It seems odd to have a high pressure regulator on a low pressure operation.
I always use the JE Adams high-pressure bypass regulator on low-pressure pumps such as Procon. None of the ones designed for that application hold the pressure as accurately, and most of them cost a lot more and don't last as long.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I will assume from your post count that you understand how plumb correctly - the flow coming out of your offline regulator goes back to the chemical or pump, not to the brush...
Never assume anything. :)

After I posted, I went back and took a good look at my setup and see that I actually plumbed it wrong and am sending my bypass out to my foaming brushes. Hence, I'm not sending hardly any pressure to my brushes! Ouch.

We all make mistakes, right? At least that's what I keep telling myself. hehe

I'll be replumbing it this weekend. Thanks to everyone who took the time to read the post and reply. Always helpful!