What's new

Baffled By Bay #4

99Roadking

Reaction score
I have a standard old style 4 bay car wash.(can be seen on my profile now I think) I am having some issues and need help with a few of these. When #4 is in use water spits out the holding tank overflow tube inside the mechanical room. It does not do it on any of the other three bays. Another issue that I noticed yesterday evening while washing down #3 I heard the brush hanging on the wall gurgle and it started pushing out some water and soap. The selector was on rinse. I had heard a customer come into another bay to wash. I peeked around the corner and there was a guy in bay #2 with the soap brush in his hand and soap and water was coming out as it should. But I have to believe that the usage in two had something to do with #3 acting like it was starting. I messed with it some after #2 was empty and noticed that when applying presoak it was very "hit and miss" as for the distribution of the presoak. Meaning it was making the noises but presoak was not coming out continuosly as normal. Those that are not completely confused please give me your thoughts. Happy Daze

MEP001

Reaction score
Post some pictures of your equipment.

lightfoot

Reaction score
sounds like the overflow problem may be a check valve beginning to go bad.

the presoak issue could possibly be a check valve issue as well, maybe at the weep (if you have a weep system), allowing high pressure to seep in to the weep and feed in to other bays, overpowering the low pressure presoak. Kinda hard to say not knowing how your system is plumbed.

lightfoot

Reaction score
i don't see a way (yet) with the new system to edit a previous post.
BUT,

but with the presoak problem, it could also be as simple as reducing the air mixture or increasing the presoak mixture pressure of the presoak. there again, without knowing how it's plumbed, it's hard to say what's wrong with it.

99Roadking

Reaction score
OK, that helps tremendously. I do indeed have a weep system. Check valves make sense. I will let you know. Thanks again

MEP001

Reaction score
I forgot about your pictures:

When #4 is in use water spits out the holding tank overflow tube inside the mechanical room.
That problem is a check valve. It looks like there's an individual check valve for each pump supply coming from the bottom of the tank in the last picture.

Another issue that I noticed yesterday evening while washing down #3 I heard the brush hanging on the wall gurgle and it started pushing out some water and soap. The selector was on rinse. I had heard a customer come into another bay to wash. I peeked around the corner and there was a guy in bay #2 with the soap brush in his hand and soap and water was coming out as it should. But I have to believe that the usage in two had something to do with #3 acting like it was starting.
That's also a check valve. The foam brush distribution system in your second photo shows a weep system with check valves - the one for bay #2 is bad.

I messed with it some after #2 was empty and noticed that when applying presoak it was very "hit and miss" as for the distribution of the presoak. Meaning it was making the noises but presoak was not coming out continuosly as normal.
That's probably in the adjustment. If there's an individual valve for each bay, try turning the air down until it comes out smooth. If it flows too slow when you get it smooth, increase the liquid flow. If it's a problem with the weep check valve, you'll see water running in that bay when one of the other bays is running on high-pressure.

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
Mep is exactly right. Those pics brought back some good memories. I believe the car wash is located in Vilas, NC. Always enjoyed talking to Charlie and Anna Wallace, also enjoyed getting a free christmas tree every year.

99Roadking

Reaction score
Mep is exactly right. Those pics brought back some good memories. I believe the car wash is located in Vilas, NC. Always enjoyed talking to Charlie and Anna Wallace, also enjoyed getting a free christmas tree every year.
Fatboy you are exactly right. That is the old Vilas Car Wash, now known as Wash Me! Auto Wash. My father and Charlie were great friends. I actually purchased it from a friend here in Boone that purchased it from Charlies Estate. My wife and I took over a little less than two years ago anf have turned the place around. Wow its a small world. Stop by next time you are in the area and say Hello. Cant promise you a Christmas tree unless Mark is home. He purchased Charlies home and farm.