What's new

Bad Cryptopay swipers

OurTown

Reaction score
I brought this up someone else's thread about a month ago with no response. We have two bad swipers that are two years old go bad in the last month. What happens is it would verify the card, start the bay and then immediately shut the bay down. (like you held the button down immediately after starting) The LED6 stated that it charged the minimum amount on the card and we have had to refund many customers. If it matters or not we are currently using count down. Also with the bay off the button light was not illuminated until it started the bay and then instead of flashing it was solid green. (until it shut down) Is the problem a bad button or is the swiper bad otherwise? If it is the button bad I might consider replacing them instead of sending the swipers back to Cryptopay for repair.

MEP001

Reaction score
If the button is bad it won't start at all. You can confirm by holding the button down on a good one and swipe your card. It's a simple momentary contact button that can fail stuck closed - the unit can't tell if it's bad unless that happens.

OurTown

Reaction score
If the button is bad it won't start at all. You can confirm by holding the button down on a good one and swipe your card. It's a simple momentary contact button that can fail stuck closed - the unit can't tell if it's bad unless that happens.

I see and that makes sense. Other than the button going bad is this how the swipers go bad? It's a bad design to charge the card if it can't keep the bay going.

OurTown

Reaction score
We just tested all three bays and the swipers that we replaced a month ago and the one yesterday are fine. The third bay is now bad. What is the chance of that? Has anyone seen something like this?

OurTown

Reaction score
I tested Mep's idea of holding down the button and swiping. It did the exact same thing so on that bad swiper. So then I thought to test a good swiper that way and it did the same thing. It must allow the bay to start momentarily even if the button is closed. Unless I'm overlooking something it looks like we have some bad buttons.

OurTown

Reaction score
Another reason I think it might be bad buttons is that normally the green LED ring is lit solid at idle. On the bad swiper it is not lit at idle but if I push it in a whole bunch of times the LED flickers intermittently.

slash007

Reaction score
I had the same situation, but used count up so the timer would just keep going up. Bad button for sure. You also know because it should always be lit green and flash green when charging and on. Otherwise the button is no good.

MEP001

Reaction score
Someone found the replacement button on Mouser or Digikey and posted a link to it here. They're cheap and easy to replace. I gor the special screwdriver tip with a set from Harbor Freight for $4 on sale.

OurTown

Reaction score
Someone found the replacement button on Mouser or Digikey and posted a link to it here. They're cheap and easy to replace. I gor the special screwdriver tip with a set from Harbor Freight for $4 on sale.

What's the special screwdriver tip you are talking about? The T-6 to open the swiper up?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've seen the bay start then immediately stop and the problem has been bad credit cards ( over limit, etc) not swiper.

slash007

Reaction score
I've seen the bay start then immediately stop and the problem has been bad credit cards ( over limit, etc) not swiper.
That happens often, but light ring around button still lights green when it's off and flashes when it's running. It's alway funny when I ask people that complain if they have $15 in their account and they start going off about how they have "plenty" of money in the account, but their faces say otherwise.

DPD36

Reaction score
In other threads some folks had mentioned that it would be nice to have buttons with red lights for swipers used in count up. The Mouser # for the red buttons is 612-PV6H240SS-311. I ordered a few, but have not installed them yet.

OurTown

Reaction score
In other threads some folks had mentioned that it would be nice to have buttons with red lights for swipers used in count up. The Mouser # for the red buttons is 612-PV6H240SS-311. I ordered a few, but have not installed them yet.

I was going to mention that because I ran into those. If you take the "612-" off the front of that number then it is the manufacturer (E-switch) number. Use that number to search at other suppliers.

Jerry33

Reaction score
I've had that same problem with timers before I had cryptopay. drop in required number of quarters or more for more time and all were counted but as soon as the timer started, it shut down. Bad timer. Seems like the same thing could happen as swiper send the number of signals to the timer. Try swapping out timers. jdf

OurTown

Reaction score
I've had that same problem with timers before I had cryptopay. drop in required number of quarters or more for more time and all were counted but as soon as the timer started, it shut down. Bad timer. Seems like the same thing could happen as swiper send the number of signals to the timer. Try swapping out timers. jdf

It's not the timers because after replacing the swipers they have worked flawlessly since. I have the replacement swiper buttons now but have not had a chance to replace any yet.

OurTown

Reaction score
Finally made some time to replace five swiper buttons. It is more tedious than I thought it would be. The first swiper I removed the switch on months ago did not have any voltage markings on it. After replacing the first one yesterday I swapped that swiper for one in a bay that had a bad button and it worked great. Today I replaced four more buttons and just as I was getting ready to toss the old buttons out I thought I would inspect them closer. The first one I looked at had a 6V marking on it so I assume that means 6 volts for the LED. I looked at the other three and they are also marked with 6V. The new ones (E-Switch PV6H240SS-331) have an LED illumination base rating of 2.8V. (and are marked on the body 2.8V in the same spot) So the question is are these new button LEDs going to be overdriven and prematurely fail? Has anyone replaced their buttons with this part number? Has anyone checked the voltage of the LED circuit on the swiper?