What's new

Backflow preventer

MDrost1

Reaction score
Folks,

My backflow preventer is leaking in a few places. Probably ready to be replaced.

I am going to have a plumber come in a swap it out.

What do I need to know? Are there brands or models that are more hassle free than another? Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Randy

Reaction score
At one point in my life I was a state certified BAT tester. Like I.B. Washincars said they are not very complicated. So before I’d have it replaced I’d open it up and clean out any debris that might be inside. I would also consider putting in a rebuild kit. Most of the time a good cleaning and reversing the rubber on the check valve plungers will solve most problems.

MDrost1

Reaction score
The actual ball valve on one side is leaking. Those can’t be rebuilt, right? I think this preventer is circa 1987.

Is there something wrong with having it replaced out right?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Is there something wrong with having it replaced out right?
The big benefit in rebuilding it is that you can do it while it is installed and only have your wash shut down for an hour or so. Regarding your leaky ball valve, that may require a plumber to come in and replace it.

copperglobe

Reaction score
I'm guessing Randy left out "not" in complicated. I've rebuilt many over the years. Getting the kits online, even on Amazon, cleaning things out, replacing the components and they will work. Last kit I purchased (2 inch Watts) on Amazon was $67 on Prime. Took an hour or so to clean out the housing and replace the components. Works great, no leaks.

Randy

Reaction score
WHOOPS!! I left out the "NOT", thanks for calling me on that Pat. They aren't very hard to work on. The biggest problem with replacing them is the cost, they are expensive. Depending on the model they can run up to a grand, that why they are repairable.

Randy, I fixed your earlier post.
I.B.

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
You guys that have repaired your own, be glad that you don't live in Tennessee. Here, you have to have someone that is certified to rebuild them.

MEP001

Reaction score
You guys that have repaired your own, be glad that you don't live in Tennessee. Here, you have to have someone that is certified to rebuild them.
Can you not just order the kit and rebuild it and not tell anyone?

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
Can you not just order the kit and rebuild it and not tell anyone?

You could do that if it's leaking water and you catch it before it is inspected. However, if it's not leaking and everything seems normal and they come for the yearly inspection and it fails, you have to have someone who is certified with the proper paper work, so you can give it to the inspector when he/she comes back to re inspect. If you don't have the proper paper work proving that the person rebuilding it is certified, they can shut you down.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
What size? My watts 2" backflow preventer can be bought for less than $500. 1" are only a couple hundred bucks. See if you can replace without sweating pipe. My guess is getting a plumber to rebuild is going to cost close to what a new unit costs.

Locally certified backflow testers can repair them. They don't have to be certified plumbers, and will work on them for a lot less than plumbers do.