What's new

Backflow Preventer leaking

Randy

Reaction score
I got a call this morning from my cleanup guy. He said that the backflow preventer was spewing water from the vent. The backflow unit is a Wilkins 975XL. When I got there sure enough water was pouring out of the vent. I turned the power off to the bays and turned off the water to the car wash. When I removed the #1 and #2 check valves, I found a small piece a plastic on the face of the #1 check valve. I remove the piece of plastic and turned the check valve diaphragm over. Reassembled the check and turned the water and power back on, no leaks all is good. It took all of about 10 minutes.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Randy & others,

I wonder how common these backflow preventers are for car washes from a local code standpoint? Before a local engineer specified a Watts 800 for us during a 1987 update ..... a local inspector had told us our previous car wash set up met code because we had an air gap on our "at the time" large tank that would fill as needed with a float. An air gap not totally different than what is on every one of our 32 laundromat washing machines on each of their final fill segment of their hoses or pipes going into each individual machine etc.

I suppose all of the backflow preventers including yours need to do this ...... everytime we need to take the pressure off the back flow preventer for whatever reason ... when we turn the water back on the dome like cover ... it turns into a bit of a circular waterfall. Dang ... where is my umbrella when I need it?

Attachments

Last edited:

chrskmbr

Reaction score
Hey, in the US all locations with hazardous materials like carwashes or a manufacturing plants have to have a RPZ type of a backflow. Basically it keeps possible cross connections from happening that would otherwise contaminate the drinking water on the main supply for everyone. The reason the water flows out is normal, it's letting the backflow of water out of the piping in case check #2 fails, or if there is a back pressure or a siphon. In your case its most likely back pressure. If it stops after a few seconds your good and its doing it job! Great find though!!

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
You guys are lucky! Murphy got me the other day. I took the top off my LF09 the other day because of a minor leak. I attempted to pull the first check out and it crumbled in my hand. Crap, a minor leak turns into a shutdown. Had to shut the wash down and straight pipe until I got the right parts to fix it.

OurTown

Reaction score
You guys are lucky! Murphy got me the other day. I took the top off my LF09 the other day because of a minor leak. I attempted to pull the first check out and it crumbled in my hand. Crap, a minor leak turns into a shutdown. Had to shut the wash down and straight pipe until I got the right parts to fix it.

Dang. That got me to thinking about having a pipe made up ready to replace it temporary. Sadly we do not have any unions on ours. Does yours have unions or did you bypass it another way?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Been there, done that. The biggest plumbing supplier in the area didn't have one and said the best they could do was to get one delivered from the warehouse (not retail outlet) in Cincinnati the next day and I could pick it up in Louisville (60 miles away) after they got it. That was going to make me down for at least a day and a half. The wash was only about 2 hours from Cincy, so I called and asked if they would let me drive up there and pick it up. They made a phone call to arrange it and I was back up and running at about 7PM that same day.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Dang. That got me to thinking about having a pipe made up ready to replace it temporary. Sadly we do not have any unions on ours. Does yours have unions or did you bypass it another way?
Fortunately I had a union before it, and another on the PRV behind it. Still a pain.

I try to fool like stuff like that early on rainy weekdays, so I have a little breathing room if things go bad.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Hey, in the US all locations with hazardous materials like carwashes or a manufacturing plants have to have a RPZ type of a backflow.
During a recent remodel in Chicago we had to install the "Break Tank" air gp system to prevent backflow.