What's new

Average time for weekly maintenance and hired help

carwashbg

Reaction score
Hi- buying first car wash (built in 2005, six bays). Can you tell me how much time you spend on-site weekly at car wash for maintenance and other duties? How much time weekly for hired help and what responsibilities do you assign to hired help? Appreciate it -thanks.

Randy

Reaction score
We go to the car wash 3 times a week, those are the days the cleanup person is off. On those days we clean the car wash, dump the garbage, sweep up the trash in the parking, hose out the bays checking all the functions, pull all the money from all the equipment, refill the vending, service the vacuum’s, check and replenish the chemicals, repair any questionable hoses, guns etc. This all takes about 3 hours per trip. That’s not including the administration things that need to be done away from the car wash banking, sales tax, bills etc. That probably adds another 4 hours a week.

Our cleanup guy gets paid $20 an hour and he does everything but pull the money from all the equipment, refill the vending, service the vacuum’s, check and replenish the chemical, he doesn’t repair anything, if anything is broken he calls and we’ll make a special trip to repair whatever needs to be repaired. He’s normally at the car wash about an hour to an hour and a half on the days we aren’t there. He goes and we go early, like at 5:30am so we don’t have to interact with any of the customers. I hope this is what your looking for.

carwashbg

Reaction score
Thanks. Does your IBA do well? The wash I’m buying had an IBA at some point (before current owner). It’s now an inspection/lube but sales not good. LOTS of auto repair up and down the street. So considering conversion to IBA. There’s not much automatic competition nearby.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
It depends on how busy the site it. A moderate volume car wash (gross sales <100K year) can often get by with a single morning visit most days, with a second "touch up" visit on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, especially during peak seasons. I expect the primary visit to take an hour on average to wash down bays, dump trash, sweep and blow the lot, pick up trash in the landscaping, and look for any problems that need my attention. The second touch up is often 15-30 minutes. Washes grossing more than 100K will probably benefit from two visits a day, seven days a week, and the possibility of a third mid day visit on peak days, or even a weekend employee. low grossing washes (<50K) can usually get by with a single daily visit, especially if there is a camera system in place.

My preferred clean up schedule is the main morning visit between 6-9AM, and an afternoon touch up around 2-3 pm. If a third visit is warranted on peak days I try to make it around Noon. Sunday AM heathens who skip Church and clean up their car instead can be quite the mess makers.

I come into the site and make three visits on average weekly to take a closer look at things and restock the vendor weekly.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I'll also add there is periodic heavier maintenance that needs to be done. This is fairly busy wash (>200K)
  • We clean out vacuums and wash down the vacuum islands and area once a week(1-2 hours).
  • Wash the cloth automatic bay weekly with a detergent to get the dirty residue off (1 hour).
  • Wash down the (2) auto bays and cashier area Monthly (2 hours)
  • Acid Wash all bays Monthly(4 hours)
  • Deep Clean the entire parking lot Quarterly(8 hours)