What's new

Automechankia in Frankfurt.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
As some of know, I'm in Europe for their version of a carwash convention. Actually the carwash is a small part of the whole thing. The location is at least double the size of the LV convention center complex. There are shuttle buses running you around. this convention covers 1,000,000 sq feet.

There are also anything to do with repairing, parts & systems, detailing, petroleum, it & management, accesories & tuning.

The public transportation here in Frankfurt is fantastic. The Frankfurt.messe has its own subway/tram/train station inside it as well as in front for the bus and tram.

I spent all of yesterday in the carwash area, PDQ and Blendco are here. Wash Tec are also here. In their display area, they have 3-4 machines actually set up and washing cars. They also have a complete "food" area when you can have a beer or wine and essentially a full meal.

Many of the booths have food and drinks available. So fat it doesn't look like there are 10K people here, but I was only in the carwash area.

I am taking a bunch of pictures but don't have time to get them up in the gallery. I will soon.

The messe.automechankia group that puts on these shows on around the world, threw a party last night. It was large, at least 12 buffet tables, bars and waitresses. They had a large numbers of girls dressed up like Bavarians. and a German band. I'd say there was 5000 people attending the party.

Later tomorrow

my2cents

Reaction score
Check out the Holz booth. I understand they make some of the finest tunnel components that you can find anywhere.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
If you don't know any german remember this
" Noch ein Bier bitte!" -- One beer please! Can't wait to see the pictures!!!
John

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Day 2:

I walked around the car wash area again most of the morning, I did see the Holz stuff.

In the afternoon, I started through the next building, there are 11 some with 2 & 3 floors. I saw repair and maintainence stuff along with paints and adheasives.

Still 6 buildings to go.

my2cents

Reaction score
I think it would really boost our industry if we could blend all of the autocare potential in a show like that. I'd really like to see it done once even if it meant eliminating our industry specific show one time. Let's face it, the last 4-5 ICA shows have seen a decline in attendee numbers. You never know where new investment will come from and it seems logical to me that collision shops, repair facilities etc may be potential for carwash growth.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Day 3: A few facts that I've found out. The facility is about 60 areas, they are the biggest trade show producers in the world. They put their shows on every 2 years.

http://automechanika.messefrankfurt.com/frankfurt/en/aussteller/willkommen.html

Last year they had $185k visitors, not counting exhibitors, this year they haven't released the numbers. There are 4500 exhibitors, from 80 countries, they have a press room, where you can go and drink, eat, and plug in your computer.

Today, I made it through building 8, 6 & 5, 6 & 5 are three floors. I found a aluminum welding wire that really worked well and anyone can use it. You just use it with a gas torch and weld away. You can repair screwed up threads, a broken piece. I also found a super glue, that never drys out. You can glue about anything to anything, you use the glue sprinkle on a "filler powder" and immediately you can sand it or do whatever you need to do to finish it. I might distribute this product. I will post a video soon showing how it works.

I also found out that the Wash Tec "booth" is about 50'x50'. Its a perminate structure, that cost them $2.2M to build and they use it every two years. It has a complet kitchen where if you get invited in, you can drink and eat complete meals. At least 25% of the booths offer food and drinks. Depending on who they are determines how fancy the eats. Every booth has some snack or candy out. Not a lot of give aways, pens and tote bags are normal.

I was talking with them about Shanghai, sounds like another road trip for me.

soapy

Reaction score
Sema has had a car care section for a while now. It often draws over 100,000 people. There are few car wash companies setup at the show. I would like to eventually see the WCA team up and put their show on during SEMA which is usually the first week in November. I think it would draw a lot more people and give people more reasons to attend the show.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Day 4: I made it throught buildings 1, 2, 3, and the rest of 4. Went back to the carwash area and chatted with Paul Fazio, and chatted with the Ginsan gang. I had not met Sigrid before, had a good chat.

Will post pictures soon.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What is Paul Fazio's feeling about the carwash industry, Bill?

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Paul is positive, he said that is had slowed down last year but has started to firm up. Sonny's has a real good distributor here in Germany and is moving out into other European countries.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Day 5: More of the same talking with some of the foreign manufactures, most are not really interested in coming to America. I was surprised to learn that in most of Europe they are not required to recycle. There are only a couple recycle companies here.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Day 5: More of the same talking with some of the foreign manufactures, most are not really interested in coming to America. I was surprised to learn that in most of Europe they are not required to recycle. There are only a couple recycle companies here.
I guess the Europeans are smarter. With few exceptoins, like steel and aluminum (or wash water in some instances) it takes more resources and money to recycle than produce virgin material. The only reason it is viable in th USA for other stuff is due to government subsidies.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Day 6: More of the same today, but now its over. A few facts about Frankfurt, population is 600K, the public transportation is complete. You buy a pass, 1 week is 22 Euro, but if you live here you you get monthly or annual. You can then ride on any form of transportation. It's also on the honor system as not once was I asked to show my pass. The same in Luxembourg, in Amsterdam your pass had a RFID chip and you scanned it getting on and getting off, but students and some others never did it. I asked and they said that they had a pass but didn't bother to scan it.

The main power plant in frankfurt is near the Main river, the coal is brought up the river and a special "sucker" sucks it off the barge and conveys it into the plant, it produces electricity and hot water for heating buildings.

Its strange seeing bridges and buildings that over 500+ years old. There are 40 "skyscrapers" in Frankfurt with 24 more in various stages of development.

Stan Royal

Reaction score
Bill,
I believe that many people recycle water in Europe but it is mainly due to the cost of water in some countries. Some countries charge hardly any for water and some are quite expensive. We had quite a good turnout to view our equipment but it is only from certain pockets of the European market. Did you make the transfer in Philly on the way home from the show or did you get to spend the night in Philadelphia thanks to our fearless leader?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Day 6: More of the same today, but now its over. A few facts about Frankfurt, population is 600K, the public transportation is complete.

Its strange seeing bridges and buildings that over 500+ years old. There are 40 "skyscrapers" in Frankfurt with 24 more in various stages of development.
Bill & others,

Just a heads up, on the population statistic if you include the metro area it is 5.8 million. This "country boy" very recently just got back from Minneapolis-St. Paul & it seems like including the whole metro area is a better measure than the one specific city boundary population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt/Rhine-Main

MJ