What's new

Auto bay door seal

soapy

Reaction score
I came across this product recently when rehabbing a auto bay. Garadry.com sells a couple of different seals to keep water from entering or exiting a bay. I used the rubber 1 1/2 inch garage door threshold on my automatic bay. This version is glued down using special glue they send with the kit. So far it seem very robust and is staying in place. They also sell a aluminum version that can be bolted down to the concrete. I have seen this topic on the forum before but have never seen this product mentioned. Being rubber cars go over it very easy without spinning tires to get over it. 1 inch kit for a 10 foot door is around $100 and is probably all the height you really need. This is a picture of the left over.

D3Dubs

Reaction score
Soapy, big thanks for posting this. I've been trying to figure out a solution for this for a while now. My online research came up with speed bumps that ran 700-800 for each bay so this is really great.

Just this morning I figured out why we were getting so much water coming out of one bay but not the other. Our pits have four square iron covers with 2 inch raised cylinders on each one. Water usually drains through the edges but every once in a while the pit dirt will build up in all the crevices and seal the edges. This is when the water collects up to the top of the cylinders before draining into the pit leaving a 2 inch pool of standing water. When this happens the blower pushes a big 'ol puddle of water to the front of the bay and right out the door.

Thanks again.

D3Dubs

Reaction score
Soapy, you mentioned that you got the 1.5 inch but then suggest the 1 inch. Are you seeing any issues with the 1.5, for instance is it overkill? Also, do you have issues with blowers pushing water and if so does the bump still stop it? One concern with this shape is that water could go up the ramp and over vs a stop that was flat on one side. Thanks again.

soapy

Reaction score
For me I really only needed 1 inch in retrospect. Most of my water gets pushed out the front of the bay after rocker panel blasters come on. ON the exit end most of water is what comes out of pickup beds while exiting. 1 inch is about $80 less than inch and half and would do the job for me. I have not had a problem with water going over the top of this. When I glued it down I used several bags of water softner salt to weight it down over night and got a good tight bond.

washzone

Reaction score
Soapy thanks for sharing, can you tell me if you installed it opposite of what Garadry says with the hump being on the inside of the bay instead of outside, my thought is it would be the opposite of what they say to keep water in the bay, also i wondered about putting heat tape through the holes under the hump to keep from ice building up your thoughts? Thanks

soapy

Reaction score
I just installed another one today. I installed mine between the concrete blocks just on the outside of the door. My doors do not come down on top of the crown but you could install it that way if desired. On the 1 1/2 inch seal it would be very easy to slide some heat tape through the slots. I have not purchased the 1 inch high seal yet so I do not know if there is enough room for heat tape on it.

washzone

Reaction score
Thanks Soapy for your quick response wondering if you have pics of your install

MEP001

Reaction score
I was just thinking this material would both look good and work well around a vac island to keep people from dinging their doors.

soapy

Reaction score
I installed this one yesterday and you can still see some of the salt that spilled out of my water softner salt bags. It makes a great weight for getting good adhesion during cure time of 24 hours. Mep1 I added some rubber bumpers around several vacs years ago and i think this product would be better to use around a vac island than the stuff I originally used. I think the 1/2 would be plenty for a vac island.

Etowah