What's new

Attracting "drive-bys"

SoakZone

Reaction score
Our wash is located at the intersection of a very busy intersection and yet we are finding that there are lots of truckers not giving us a second thought because they see us too late. We have 3 large SS semi truck bays, 8 SS car bays, and 1 IBA. One of the underlying problems is that the local city forced our building to be built so that the entrance is on the back side of our lot facing away from the road/traffic. We've tried radio, paper flyers, facebook, but are looking at other ideas to even bring in one extra semi truck per day which would result in about $50K in revenue per year. What are some "outside-the-box" ideas out there?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
use an app like touch4wash or counless.

you can do special promotions or discount days for truckers.

I would think the problem with truckers is that they're on a time schedule and maybe you could drive business by discounting the truck wash bays during certain hours of the day for your app members.

MEP001

Reaction score
Maybe buy a trailer, have one side wrapped with a giant ad, and park it up the road? I see a bunch for sale locally for around $3,000.

SoakZone

Reaction score
Maybe buy a trailer, have one side wrapped with a giant ad, and park it up the road? I see a bunch for sale locally for around $3,000.
Great idea... actually tossed that around with the owners. Trailers like that in Saskatchewan are quite a bit more than that, but I like the idea of it being mobile and moving it around once or twice a year to attract more attention.

Monte

Reaction score
Are you at the Hwy 9 intersection. Is that a Humpty,s gas station/restaurant? Maybe give vouchers for a meal or food item over at the minimart/restaurand. Truckers always want to eat! Maybe that would help business and get them to return

SoakZone

Reaction score
Are you at the Hwy 9 intersection. Is that a Humpty,s gas station/restaurant? Maybe give vouchers for a meal or food item over at the minimart/restaurand. Truckers always want to eat! Maybe that would help business and get them to return
It is, yes... prime spot, but we need to get the "drive-bys" - both cars and truckers.

Good idea, and we've played around with that for a couple months now by giving a free coffee for all our "Custom Wash" customers. They appreciate the gesture and free go juice, but with cov!d it's hard to collaborate with the restaurant next door as there are restrictions on dining in... I'm thinking we need at least 14 billboard signs on all the highways coming into town to make our wash really "pop".

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Any limits on a road sign for your business? If not you need a sign something like "Truck Wash" that can be seen from a distance not at the last minute. You need additional signage pointing them toward your entrance. Trucks like to know ahead of time when to turn or where to turn as you can imagine with those big rigs. Also does your lot have plenty of room to maneuver around and reposition their truck? If not that will deter them as well.

SoakZone

Reaction score
Any limits on a road sign for your business? If not you need a sign something like "Truck Wash" that can be seen from a distance not at the last minute. You need additional signage pointing them toward your entrance. Trucks like to know ahead of time when to turn or where to turn as you can imagine with those big rigs. Also does your lot have plenty of room to maneuver around and reposition their truck? If not that will deter them as well.
I'm working on getting more signs posted around our city... budget costs though...
We have plenty of room for truckers to turn around and stage so that's not the problem. We are going to be getting a large pilon sign eventually, but are exploring smaller ticket items until then.