What's new

Association Shows/Expos: Are they Relevant Versus the Internet Presence

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
The ICA is not really more vendor driven than member driven. Smith Bucklin really calls the shots more than any other party. Most decisions are driven by theri desire to keep the ICA as an account rather than any particular interest. I think most of the vendors would favor fewer shows.

I agree that the regionals are really more responsive to their members both vendors and operators but they are still run either by a small company or individual whose main goal is to keep their business. Still changes can be made more quickly in a region than nationally.

Changes in the number and/or size of shows at either level are difficult to get done since both involve the raising of money for the company or individual that runs the association. If a change in direction is made it usually means that a new company has to be hired to effect the change like with the ICA when they went from Trantham to Smith Bucklin or here in the Southeast a couple of years ago when they went from two to one show annually.

I am not saying it is right or wrong. It is just the reality of the situation. It is very difficult to institute any major change in the shows or any other policy involving money or direction of the association because it has to come from the members. In the case of the ICA there are many varied interests due to its size and geography so change takes a long time.

phred113

Reaction score
Who are the ICA employees and who are Smith Bucklin's? I lose track of who are our folks and who are the hired help? Anyone can chime in with the names of the true ICA folks, besides the Board of Directors - or is that it?

I am not fixin' for a fight, but it occurred to me that I do not know and others may not either.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Mark Thorsby runs the Association for Smith Bucklin. The Board is made up of operators and vendors from our industry. They are nominated before the ICA Show and voted on at the Show. Other than Mark, other services performed by Smith Bucklin are done by the various departments of their company. I believe Smith Bucklin is one of the largest companies that run associations in the country. They are headquartered in Chicago.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
The staff is like any other corp. but I will say that the Forum and the ICA have been working together very well for a long time. You will notice they have their own area below, and you can find out things and ask questions in their area. The ICA has spent a lot of money and time on education for the operators. I hate to write a check as much as anyone, but there is value in belonging. Unlike many associations where it is just a "good old boys" club, this one isn't. Lisa was on the board for awhile and a number of our other memebers were on the board.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I have no real quarrel with the ICA or Smith Bucklin or the regional associations. In this day and age it is important that operators and vendors get the most bang for the buck. Having shows every years seems to contradict that. What I am questioning is the need for each region and the ICA to hold shows every year. What I am wondering is how these shows benefit their members? Are these associations really working together to identify the needs of their members? When money is tight as it is today, can these associations justify their membership fees and show costs as legitimate expenses for operators and vendors alike who must look at the value of all their expenses?

If the associations were truly working together they should be able to alternate with the ICA having a show every other year and the regions on the off years. Operators and vendors alike would then have the opportunity to meet annually - once by region and once by the national ICA Show without the additional expense of attending both venues every year. Operators can decide for themselves whether they want to attend one or the other or neither. Most vendors have no choice. They either attend all the shows or their viability as a business is questioned. The problem I feel is that none of the associations could exist in their current structure without the money that is generated by these shows - especially the ICA unless they change the way they currently operate.

Next year's ICA Show in Orlando will be a good indication of where things are headed and whether the associations can react to those changes. I believe that if many vendors have downsized and reduced sponsorship of events at the ICA and regional shows there is a definite need to evaluate the situation. Attendance was down at the ICA Show and most of the regional shows this year and may be even lower next year at in the face of the economic realities of our industry. If these things occur that should be is a real indicator of the need for change.

If these associations do in fact represent the needs of the operators and vendors that belong, they should react to the realities of the situation. If not, it will be a good indicator that they exist more for themselves than the membership.

Con't

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
There is definitely a "Catch 22" here. How do they recoup some of the lost revenues from a reduction of shows? Obviously an increase in dues would only serve to probably reduce membership even more. Since an overwhelming majority of operators do not belong to one or the other associations at this time maybe a bold move would be to reduce dues and fees and encourage more of those who do not currently belong to join. Give them reasons to join. If not a reduction in membership fees, why not increase the benefits of membership - improved group insurance rates for health, property or business insurance to members or local and/or regional marketing campaigns supporting professional car washing or reduced legal advice or assistance.

If I am off base here I apologize but frankly I think it is time for some changes in how these associations operate for the benefit of their members. Many operators and vendors alike are struggling under current economic circumstances. There is a need for support programs to help them reduce operating costs and increase business.

I also hope this doesn't appear as a "groom and doom" scenario. I believe in this industry. This industry remains a viable one that certainly can weather the storm and come out as strong or stronger than before. Times are changing. Things are not as they used to be and probably never will be. It is time to evaluate all that we do in this business - operators, vendors and the associations.

One of my favorite concepts I found in a book called "Winning Through Intimidation" by Robert Ringer. Essentially what he said was that if one does not accept reality for what it is and make plans accordingly, those plans will work against them. The reality is that things have changed but I don't see many basing their future plans on that reality.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
rph, Most of what you say has merit. A reality is that the dues, usually don't support the cost of the association management. Managers were hired because a few volunteers got tired of doing all the work and getting bitched at all the time. The shows bring in money for the association and for those that attend and exhibit provide value to them. When it doesn't the market place will change it. Exhibitors quit exhibiting and visitors quit going, capitalism works when left alone by the government.

I liked that Ringer book so much that I bought dozens of them and gave them to friends. Do you have an extra copy, gave all mine away and now they are out of print.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I think the Ringer book is back in print now. Have you checked lately?

Uncle Sam

Reaction score
I did some more slicing and dicing of the registration numbers sent by WCA after the 2007 show and made myself even more depressed about the number of opportunities to contact potential customers. Many of the registrants are spouses or family members so multiple registrants represent the same business opportunity. After backing out those registrants the number of real contacts dropped about 20%. Therefore each contact made by going to shows becomes even more expensive. I?ll have to look at the numbers very closely in the future.

phred113---I looked up the Smith Bucklin organization on their website. They manage/administer some 235 associations, professional societies, technical organizations, etc which makes them the largest company of this type in the world. They seem to be doing a decent job for their ICA members. There are 16 members of the Board of Directors; 10 are operators and 6 are vendors.

Rph---I agree with your assessment of the present situation. I don?t think the ICA show format is going to change at all. They are the biggie in the business. It is the regional associations that are going to have problems keeping their shows viable by providing enough contacts to make vendors want to exhibit. That is my problem with regional shows; from what I hear about some of these smaller shows, traffic has not been very good.

Your point about ?accepting reality and making plans accordingly? is right on the money. The regional associations need to join together and share the revenues from their shows; one in the mid-west, one in the southeast, and one in the northeast. WCA will stand by itself. As Bill says capitalism will work when the government leaves it alone.

After spending some time thinking about it, the larger vendors of equipment really have very little choice about attending shows; they have to show their equipment so a potential customer can ?kick the tires? and see what they are getting for big bucks. The smaller vendors can pick and choose for themselves.

My thanks to all of you who participated in this discussion. Sure would like to have had some of the larger vendors participate, but that is the way it goes.

Uncle Sam :)

JJJakubowski

Reaction score
Those who just cannot get enough Winter carwash shows (ICA and/or Regionals) can breathe a sigh of relief. Why? Cuz Modern Car Care is hosting its own tabletop show at the Venetian in Las Vegas February 7-8.

JJJ/SSCWN

Uncle Sam

Reaction score
JJJ,

I see from your post and in the recent MCC magazine that this Expo comes up on very short notice to anyone except those exhibiting (unless I missed it in earlier MCC magzines.) We now have the "private company" side (Kleen-Rite with 2 Expos now) getting into the Expo business. This is really going to put pressure on the regionals 'cause the private expos are cheaper. All the MCC exhibitors are the big companies and I don't see much in the "table top" situation for us smaller vendors.

There are just too many Expos saturating the market here. Something has to give.

Uncle Sam

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
These new expos may be an indication of a generally negative reaction by vendors to regional shows which if it continues may even affect the ICA Show. As has been discussed here at length, most of the the regional shows have had serious declines in attendance in recent years. With the economy and current downward trend in car washing, vendors simply cannot spend money on regional shows without getting some reasonable return in the form of business. Likewise, operators are reluctant to spend the time and money to travel any distance to attend shows on a frequent basis when much business can be done on the local level or on line.

I really think the regions and ICA need to carefully examine the reality of the situation and develop some type of plan to alternate shows and make them easier to attend financially for both vendors and operators. Otherwise I could see these expos sponsored by vendors become more prevalent in the future.

Etowah