What's new

Ask for What You Want

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is a simple way; negotiate with some suppliers whenever possible.

One of my main utilities is gas for production water, floor heat and detail shop heat. I called my salesman this morning and scheduled a meeting to discuss my account. I have a payment plan and thought reviewing my usage and price might open up some negotiation between us for the upcoming heating season.

Sure enough, he said:'oh yeah, lets get together next week, because the per gallon price is coming down".

A meeting I'm actually looking forward to will now take place and I will be saving this year.

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
This is excellent point. We use propane at home and I went shopping for better deals in December--result was 60 cents per gallon savings.

Ted

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just looked at my propane expense for Dec 2nd-Jan 2nd. My carwash and detail shop are running $15 per day for propane expense at my current price per gallon.

I think it's due to my miserly ways; timer on production boiler, turning detail shop heat down to lowest setting at 6pm, closing SS bay doors at night, thereby satisfying thermostat easier.

$15 per day in propane for a Winter month doesn't seem too bad for a 2/1 carwash and 40'x32' detail shop.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I wish I could negotiate with my natural gas supplier. Someone will be getting a nice bonus with my gas usage this month :)

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why can't you negotiate?

I just wrangled with one professional service provider and got $600 back!

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
The nat gas is like electricity, we pay what they want and they are the only supplier. We are paying about .82 a therm(100,000)Btu. This month cost about
$1300 per wash to heat. And in the last 6 weeks were closed maybe 10days, due to excessive cold down to -31 and wind chills -50. So far a very expensive winter.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
new insurance quote

For my carwash and detail shop. Includes liability, property and workers comp. just over $2k for the year.:D

photocopy your policy, black out the $ amounts, and shop it around. can't hurt!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just got my carwash and detail shop policies all switched over.

Spent slightly more for my workers comp but much less for liability and property insurance.

Definitely worthwhile to switch. Over $2000 a year savings with better coverages! :)

I left things on very good terms with my former agent because you never know and I've regretted burning bridges in business before!

bigleo48

Reaction score
BTW...you can do the same with your phone and cell bill. That industry is changing very very fast and priceplans and bundles are dropping.

Call up you provider (and competitor) and have them look at your usage and come up with a better price plan.

I'm with Waxman...in life you get what you negotiate!

BigLeo

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
My Uncle always used to say "If you don't A-S-K you don't G-E-T." and "To earn more learn more."