What's new

ARO Pump Question-Leaking?

Bucksavage

Reaction score
I have an ARO pump mounted on my triple foam rack. I think its the 1/4" non-metallic pump (hexagonal tube shaped). It has a brass pourous nipple like protrusion on one end. Air appears to be leaking out of this brass fitting. I dont know about these pumps but I am guessing the seals are leaking.

Does this make sense?

Can I replace the pump with a Flojet?

Thanks

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I'm not sure about your particular pump, but ARO pumps in general were prevalent in the CW industry for many years. They were notorious for leaking, both air out the exhaust and whatever fluid they were moving, and stalling. They have pretty much disappeared altogether with mostly Flojets taking their place. I'm sure it wouldn't be much trouble to replace it with a Flojet, but with my luck with them over the last couple of years I'm hoping someone comes out with something better.

MEP001

Reaction score
I believe what you're describing is the muffler on the exhaust. If it's leaking air, the o-rings in the shuttle valve are worn. It will cost almost as much in parts to fix as a Flojet replacement.

Unlike I.B., I've had very few problems with Flojets. I use only viton (Mainly so I only have to keep one pump on hand and not a viton and a santoprene), and I tighten the screws that hold the body together before I put them into service. I've had two that leaked a few months after install, both of which quit leaking when I took them apart, cleaned and relubed the diaphragms and reassembled.