What's new

ARO Pump Problem

Rudy

Reaction score
My 1/2" ARO diaphragm pump started leaking tire cleaner out of the center...around the muffler. I disassembled the pump..found nothing wrong...but it still leaks the same way, after reassembly.

I'm guessing that it's leaking around the diaphragm's....but I'm not sure. The diaphragm's are not torn, and appear to be intact. It looks like the only way for fluid to get into the middle, would be for the diaphragm to lose it's seal around the outer edge. Am I right?

I've read on this forum about the headaches with the ARO's. Can this pump be repaired, and if not, what would be a cost effective choice for running tire cleaner to a 3 bay? I run a Viton Flojet 57 for my presoak (using clean air), and that little pump has gone for 4 years without a hiccup.... Would a FloJet be a good alternative?

Randy

Reaction score
I?d definitely get rid of the ARO pump and go with either a Flojet G57 or a Procon.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I replaced my ARO pumps with flojets and couldn't be happier. Low cost+reliability=smiley carwash guy.:D

MEP001

Reaction score
It handles more pressure (100 PSI vs. 80), but the chemical resistance shouldn't be a reason we would need it. Viton should handle anything a car wash can throw through it. The 5 GPM issue vs. 7 shouldn't be an issue for most functions. I doubt it would handle presoak for our 6 self-serve bays since it's using large solenoids and tubing with no needle valves, though I could just use two side by side, but I'm still on the original 5-year-old Santoprene one.

Maybe the Kalrez can be oiled safely and would run better longer.

Randy

Reaction score
The G57 Kalrez is a little on the pricey side, about $40-$50 more than a Viton model.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
As we know, moisture in the air line kills flo jets. Maybe this version is less susceptible to that issue.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
It handles more pressure (100 PSI vs. 80), but the chemical resistance shouldn't be a reason we would need it. Viton should handle anything a car wash can throw through it. The 5 GPM issue vs. 7 shouldn't be an issue for most functions. I doubt it would handle presoak for our 6 self-serve bays since it's using large solenoids and tubing with no needle valves, though I could just use two side by side, but I'm still on the original 5-year-old Santoprene one.

Maybe the Kalrez can be oiled safely and would run better longer.
Seems like 2 reasons not to get the Kalrez unless you really need it for the cleaning solutions you use.
1. More costly
2. Uses more PSI fo less GPM (100psi for 5 GPM versus 80 psi for 7 GPM)

MEP001

Reaction score
Earl Weiss said:
Uses more PSI fo less GPM (100psi for 5 GPM versus 80 psi for 7 GPM)
That doesn't mean it uses more air, it means that it has a higher working pressure. It will use more air at 100 PSI, but it should use the same at your current inlet pressure.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
That doesn't mean it uses more air, it means that it has a higher working pressure. It will use more air at 100 PSI, but it should use the same at your current inlet pressure.

OK I am confused. I know pressure and volume are not neccessarily the same thing. But I figure if the pump is rated for Max of 5 GPM and a max of 100 psi then you need 100 PSI to generate 5 GPM as opposed to the other with max of 80 PSI for 7 GPM. There is no info to indicate the supply inlet is any different. My flojets use 3/8 poly inlet. So, why is it wrong to think a 3/8 supply at 100 psi uses more air than at 80 PSI?

Or basicaly, it seems to need more air to produce the same outlet volume. The current pumps will produce 5 gpm at about 60 psi and the new one would need 100 psi to produce the same amount. If I keep the inlet the same it would produce less.

I guess we could cheat and have someone get the pump and see if the pressure / volume graph is the same or different than the other pumps.

MEP001

Reaction score
You could be right, but more than likely it will still produce 5 GPM at 60 PSI at the same load, but can also achieve a 100 PSI output if needed. I use a FloJet as a transfer pump, and it will do 5 GPM at 20 PSI with no restriction, so there are other factors in determining how much air it uses.