What's new

ARO pump gets air locked

Clintearl

Reaction score
My SS is setup with ARO pumps on the presoak, foam brush, tire cleaner. The pump on the presoak continues to get air locked. I have to relieve the air pressure at the regulator and it is fixed. What is causing this to happen and how can I fix it permantly?

Jim Caudill

Self Serve Operator
Reaction score
I used to have (4) of those things [presoak, tire-cleaner, foaming brush, and automatic presoak]; replaced them all a couple of times due to leaking and stalling (air locked?). It seemed like there was always one that was "acting up". They were expensive and something of a pain to change out. About 6 or seven years a go, I switched to the Flo-Jet series (5700?). I installed the cute plastic mounting racks with big rubber cord that locks them in place. Use the Viton seal model where appropriate. I have had a couple "seep" and that was due to the housing screws being a little loose (I would say check them prior to initial install and then check them once more after a month or so- as tight as you can get them is about right). You can keep a spare on hand if you want. You can swap them out by removing some little plastic clips and pulling the nipples (sealed by o-rings) without ever disconnecting the air and fluid hoses. The Flo-Jets are truly one product that works the way it should and pretty much are a "replace and forget about it" item. Don't spend any more money or time on the ARO's.

chadrpalmer

Reaction score
i second that emotion! dont know of a more favorite car wash product for me than the flo jet.

MEP001

Reaction score
I'll third the FloJet - I keep a spare Viton pump on the shelf so I don't have to worry about chemical matching or keeping two different pumps on hand. Two of six in service have failed in five years, both those had Santoprene pumps where Viton should have been used. Install a good oil/water separator inline and drain it every day and you won't have any issues with stalling. I love the quick-change bracket and the snap-in fittings.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
One thing that did with all of my air pumps. Between the solenoid and the pump I put a galvanized tee and in the side I put the pink tip from a Hydrominder, it bleeds off the air and its cheaper than a three way valve.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
My SS is setup with ARO pumps on the presoak, foam brush, tire cleaner. The pump on the presoak continues to get air locked. I have to relieve the air pressure at the regulator and it is fixed. What is causing this to happen and how can I fix it permantly?
Getting rid of them is the only permanent fix. These things must have a place where they work, but the car wash ain't it. Evidently you must be somewhat new to the biz or at least the forum, because they have been discussed many times here over the years with the same concencus. Those things have been going in car wash dumpsters by the droves for the last several years. I don't know of any CW mfrs. that use them any more. Chuck 'em, you'll be glad you did.

MEP001

Reaction score
pitzerwm said:
One thing that did with all of my air pumps. Between the solenoid and the pump I put a galvanized tee and in the side I put the pink tip from a Hydrominder, it bleeds off the air and its cheaper than a three way valve.
All of mine are dead-headed but one, no controls for the pump except the solenoids to the bays stopping the flow. Four of the original Flojets are still working perfectly after nearly five years. I've actually heard more problems from those using a system controlling air into the pumps than those dead-heading them.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
ditto. Dump the Aro and go flo jet. I only buy Viton seals. A little more expensive but i don't have to keep two spares on hand and no worry's if my guy puts a snatoprene where I need Viton. McMaster arr sells auto dump water traps and i reccomend that type.

Aros are OK in tunnel apps where a solenoid opens the sir to the pump when the function is needed. But, this is still outweighed by the cost issue. Some Aros may give double the volume of a flojet but are triple the cost or more. You can easily replace with 2 Flo Jets if that volume is needed. Typicaly 4 bays to a flojet is max reccomended. But how often would 4 bays be using the same function?

mac

Reaction score
Well the pump gods must be smiling down on me. I've sold many ARO pumps and have has great results with them. I think the setup is the main reason for their issues. I sell them with the solution tank above the pump. This prevents a leaky check valve draining the supply line and the pump failing. I also put a 3 way solenoid controlled by a multiplexing relay that shuts off the ait to everything and bleeds the pressure to the pumps when no one is using the wash. Works well and will pay for itself the first time a soap solenoid sticks open and drains a bucket of soap overnight. I also use Flo Jets a lot for replacements.

MEP001

Reaction score
Earl Weiss said:
Typicaly 4 bays to a flojet is max reccomended. But how often would 4 bays be using the same function?
Ours is a 6-bay with the presoak running wide open (no needle valves and 3/8" OD tubing) to each bay. The G57 has no trouble delivering enough flow for all six bays at once - I've tested it myself. All the other functions have less liquid demand.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Ours is a 6-bay with the presoak running wide open (no needle valves and 3/8" OD tubing) to each bay. The G57 has no trouble delivering enough flow for all six bays at once - I've tested it myself. All the other functions have less liquid demand.
I have no doubt it would work depending on the size nozzle. However, at the ICA show I asked the Flo Jet people what they reccomend.

A flo jet I believe specs out at max 7gpm but that would be without resistance.

6 bays with .05 nozzles is less than half that but I am sure factors like temp and length of runs play into it.

MEP001

Reaction score
Earl Weiss said:
I have no doubt it would work depending on the size nozzle. However, at the ICA show I asked the Flo Jet people what they reccomend.
I remember that from an earlier post, and I put little faith in what someone at Flojet recommended for the number of bays it could handle. They're not car wash guys.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I have not tested it but I would think my Foam brush uses more volume than any other function. What do you think?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Also, FWIW when I viewed various factory setups at the show it seemed they maxed out at 4 bays per flo jet. Maybe they choose to err on the side of caution.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I have eight bays, I can only recall one time where I had 5 bays all running foam brush and it handled it really well. Just my .02

MEP001

Reaction score
Earl Weiss said:
I have not tested it but I would think my Foam brush uses more volume than any other function. What do you think?
Ours definitely doesn't. The foam brush runs at 40 PSI and is throttled back a lot with needle valves. I run it a little wet and very fast, and the pump runs about half the speed of the presoak.
Earl Weiss said:
Also, FWIW when I viewed various factory setups at the show it seemed they maxed out at 4 bays per flo jet. Maybe they choose to err on the side of caution.
That is likely, especially when some manufacturers still build systems with no needle valves and even have presoak with no air mixed with it at the bay.