What's new

ARO Diaphragm Pump

Ayerule

Reaction score
View attachment 925

Is this my only option for presoak? I'm about to buy my fourth one after a lengthy process of elimination. Air flows from the exhaust port on the ARO, exhaust port on the ss air solenoid and at the guns. No presoak chemical to the bays at all.
Am I stuck with this diaphragm pump or could I replace this with something more reliable, like a flojet if it's the same thing? I don't even understand how it pumps without a motor.
Here's a pic of my setup for the four ss bays.

View attachment 926

New to all this and welcome any criticism and feedback for my layout.
Thank you in advance.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Flo jet - Viton is worth a try for simplest change out. Make sure there is an in line air filter before the pump.

Randy

Reaction score
Those ARO pumps were a piece of $hit out of the box, we stopped using them over 25 years ago. Just replace it with a G-57 Flo-jet pump and be done with it. You’ll to build a mounting bracket for the G57 Flo-jet pump. We don’t use any air dyers on our G57 Flo-jet pumps, but if you’re in Florida it might not be a bad idea. Or you could install a Procon pump, I see you have 2 already.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
That's an outrageously expensive price to pay for a G57.
Better pricing is available at any of the on-line car wash vendors.

Adding a drip leg to your air supply will assist in moisture reduction at the pump(s).

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I guess it's a little late, but thats looks to be a coleman SS system. The procon or fluid O tech rotary vane will last for years and years- I get five years plus out of a pump, if not ten. I see no reason to change to an air driven pump setup. You're looking at maybe $250 to go back with a fluid O tech and motor if you buy from a discount store.

I see you have replaced the mini regulator with a watts type pressure reducer. I usually just take the regulator off the liquid side and use the pump adjustment to control pressure. This just simplifies things.

MEP001

Reaction score
I get five years plus out of a pump, if not ten.
FWIW I replaced a FloJet yesterday that I installed back in 2000, dead-headed with no inlet air control so it's been under pressure for over 15 years.

Randy

Reaction score
Ayerule, did you get your pump problems sorted out? I’ve seen Flo-jet pumps used on Presoak and tire cleaner destroyed by back pressure from a leaking high pressure check valve.

Ayerule

Reaction score
Sorry about the delay. The hurricane made a mess of things down here. Hope everyone else is safe and dry.
I ended up installing the Grainger G57 to get the place running. Hurts looking at the bill but I didn't really have a choice at the time.
It is the only diaphragm pump at the wash. Thank you all for the suggestions and quick feedback. I learned a whole new field.

pgrzes

Reaction score
Go on ebay and look up carbonators. You can pick up a procon pump with motor for $150. You can resell the flowjet. This way you will have all same pumps.

Ayerule

Reaction score
View attachment 934
Not sure if I should have started a new thread, but it's on the same system.
What is the purpose of this guy? Is it only a simple on or off solenoid for air?
If so, can I replace it with something simpler? When the coil opens it constantly dumps air from the exhaust port and it seems like a waste of energy and killing my aging speedair.

Ayerule

Reaction score
Go on ebay and look up carbonators. You can pick up a procon pump with motor for $150. You can resell the flowjet. This way you will have all same pumps.
That is a great idea, thank you Pgrzes!

MEP001

Reaction score
You can unhook the wires and bypass the air straight to the pump as long as none of your liquid solenoids are leaking to the bay.

That solenoid is either wrong for the application or defective, it was probably put in to relieve the pressure from the air line to the pump when not in use. You can replace it with a simple normally closed solenoid.

Randy

Reaction score
You want to be really careful if you buy a Procon pump on EBay. There are many different models of Procon pumps. Some are rated for pumping just water, that model pump isn’t what you want for the car wash. You want to use a Procon pump with a Fluorocarbon elastomer seal. At the last convention the salesman from Procon told me to not use an expensive stainless steel pump, the internals on the Stainless pump are the same as Brass pump.