What's new

arimitsu seal retainer pitting

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Replaced the seals on an arimitsu 516 today. The pump is about 4 years old, installed in one of my moderately-used bays. I'm in a rural area, so not a super busy wash, but yeah after 3.5-4 years I'm not surprised I needed a seal kit. But then again my first aimitsu 516 is 5 years old, in my busiest bay, and not a hint of needing repairs yet.

Anyway, I see some pitting on the brass seal retainers, and since I dont have spares and theyre not in stock anywhere, I went ahead and reinstalled them with the new seal kit...
So my question is, those of you with more experience with the arimitsus, do you think I need to replace the seal retainers? Did I just waste $100 on a seal kit?

Its a bit disconcerting, the price of repair kits for the arimitsu.
Seal Kit $110, valve kit $127 (need 2), seal retainers $23 (need 3). That is literally half the price of a new pump. Granted that the valves last a lot longer than cat valves (for me anyway), but yikes. Not to mention that I cant buy valve kits or seal retainers.

Attachments

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I had 17 516's when I sold my washes in 2020. I had been using them since 2005. I never had a seal retainer do that and never replaced a valve or gasket. What is wrong with the valves? I think you have something else going on to cause that pitting.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Sorry, I confused my post by mentioning valves - cat pump valves have a plastic body, I regularly got some wear on them so I more or less had cat valves on a 4 or 5 year replacement schedule. For the pricing I mentioned, I just naturally added in the valve price for a rebuild.

The pitting is on the Seal Retainer, easiest to see on the narrow end of the bottom retainer in the pic. The o-rings were fine, I had already removed the one on the bottom retainer, ignore that.

It's probably from cavitation, which would mean the retainers are good to use again.
I agree its likely from cavitation, but I dont understand why that would mean they are good to use. Yes the new seals appear to have eliminated the air and the cavitation, but the pitting is still there, might that allow altered water flow which would cause the new seals to fail prematurely?

What is wrong with the valves?
I think nothing, sorry I caused misdirection about valves

I think you have something else going on to cause that pitting.
Darn it IB, I dont want to think about that.
But... like what? My softener works great, 0 grains hardness. My water pH is close to 7. Until recently there was no air that I could see, no cavitaion or pulsation.

MEP001

Reaction score
I agree its likely from cavitation, but I dont understand why that would mean they are good to use. Yes the new seals appear to have eliminated the air and the cavitation, but the pitting is still there, might that allow altered water flow which would cause the new seals to fail prematurely?
Cavitation is mainly caused by a restriction of the water supply, not by air entering the system. The parts damaged by cavitation are fully exposed to water and aren't involved in mating to a seal. The seating surfaces would have to be completely and very obviously compromised before the parts would be unusable.