What's new

Arimitsu 516 pulley help

CarWashHelp

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, we had a very old Cat 310 pump fail and we replaced it with an Arimitsu 516 pump. The pump is powered by a 5HP Leeson motor.

The Leeson motor has a 2 groove, 3.35" pulley on it. The old Cat 310 pump had a 2 groove, 6" pulley on it. The new Arimitsu 516 pump came with a 1 groove 8" pulley, and also came with a belt that fits perfectly in that pulley.

My question is, should I change the Leeson motor pulley to one groove, or is there an advantage to using two grooves? I tried hooking up the belt that came with the pump to one of the grooves in the two groove motor pulley, but that didn't work well. The groove widths on the motor pulley are much smaller than the one on the Arimitsu pump, so the belt doesn't fit well at all and will run up the side of the groove and then off the motor pulley after running for a while. We run the bays at 1500 psi.

Thanks for your help in advance.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Most set-ups use one "B" belt, as do all of my bays (5HP & 516 Arimitsu). It sounds like yours was using two "A" belts. You will probably need to swap out your motor pulley to a single "B" groove. You don't say what size tip you are using, so keep in mind that with that 8" pump pulley you may not be able to obtain 1500 PSI. Put a 4" pulley on the motor if there are no clearance issues. That will get some of your lost RPMs back.

kentadel

Reaction score
I use a 5 hp Leeson with a 516 Arimitsu. single groove 5 inch pulley on motor and 8 inch on pump. 1500 psi. B37k belt

MEP001

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, we had a very old Cat 310 pump fail and we replaced it with an Arimitsu 516 pump. The pump is powered by a 5HP Leeson motor.

The Leeson motor has a 2 groove, 3.35" pulley on it. The old Cat 310 pump had a 2 groove, 6" pulley on it. The new Arimitsu 516 pump came with a 1 groove 8" pulley, and also came with a belt that fits perfectly in that pulley.
The 3.35" pulley is too small to make 1500 PSI anyway, so you definitely need to replace it.

IMO there's no need for a 2-groove pulley as long as you use a good quality B-width belt and check on them periodically and replace it before it breaks.

Greg

Reaction score
Hi CarWashHelp,
1-groove vs. 2-groove;
1-groove is common when using "B" belt.
2-groove may be seen when using the narrower "A" belt, especially when smaller pulleys are used.
Belt to pulley contact decreases as pulley diameter decreases.

Without knowing the nozzle size you use, the best I can do is match gpm/rpm as you previously had with the old pump.
2 options for you;
1) Transfer the 6" 2-groove pulley from your old pump to your new 516 pump. Keep 3.35" motor pulley the same.
2) Change motor pulley to 4.5" single "B" groove. This will provide gpm as you had before while keeping the 8" pulley on your new 516 pump.

Application note; 310 & 516 are same gpm/rpm ratio, 4GPM @ 950 RPM.
Using 1750 RPM motor with 3.35" pulley and a 6" on the pump, the pump is aprox. 977 RPM.
Using 1750 RPM motor with 4.5" pulley and a 8" on the pump, the pump is aprox. 984 RPM.

Happy to help !
Greg Thoennes
Arimitsu Pumps

CarWashHelp

Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. I had no idea about the different belt types. I replaced the 3.35 inch 2 groove pulley on the Leeson motor with a 4.5" 1 groove pulley and it works great. Amazing how quiet these Arimitsu pumps are compared to the 310s. Got it fixed just in time for the beautiful weather we had this past weekend and our carwash was slammed.